Connect with us

Musings From Abroad

Not Happening: Twitter CEO debunks stories of Elon Musk joining company board

Published

on

Stories of billionaire Tesla Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk being on the board of Twitter after purchasing 73.5 million shares or 9.2 percent of the company’s common stock to become its largest shareholder, has been debunked by the social media company CEO Parag Agrawal.

In a statement on Sunday, Agrawal said though Musk is the firm’s biggest shareholder, he has decided not to join its board.

“Elon has decided not to join our board. Elon’s appointment to the board was to become officially effective 4/9, but Elon shared that same morning he will no longer be joining the board. I believe this is for the best.

“Elon is our biggest shareholder and we will remain open to his input,” Agrawal said.

The statement was a reversal of a previous statement barely a week ago, by the Twitter CEO who had announced that the billionaire tech entrepreneur had been appointed to join the Twitter board.

Agrawal had announced on Tuesday that Musk would be joining the board, describing him as “a passionate believer and intense critic of the service which is exactly what we need”.

Musk himself had tweeted that he was “Looking forward to working with Parag & Twitter board to make significant improvements to Twitter in coming months!”

But that is no longer happening as Musk has pulled out of joining the board without preferring any reason.

In less than two weeks since his purchase of the Twitter shares, Musk who is known for his outspoken nature, has polarised opinions, with the earlier announcement that he was joining the board sparking misgiving among some Twitter employees.

The SpaceX founder and Tesla CEO’s decision not to join the Twitter board came after he tweeted on Saturday asking whether the social media network was “dying” and to call out users such as singer Justin Bieber, who are highly followed but rarely post in the platform.

“Most of these ‘top’ accounts tweet rarely and post very little content. Is Twitter dying?” Musk wrote, captioning a list of the 10 profiles with the most followers which includes himself at number eight, with 81 million followers.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Musings From Abroad

US bans four former Malawian officials over bribery

Published

on

The United States State Department said on Wednesday that four former government officials from Malawi were not allowed to come to the US because they were involved in major crime.

“The United States stands with Malawians working towards a more just and prosperous nation by promoting accountability for corrupt officials, including advocating for transparency and integrity in government procurement processes,” department spokesman Matthew Miller said in a statement.

The people named are Reyneck Matemba, who used to be solicitor general and secretary of justice, John Suzi-Banda, who used to be director of public procurement and disposal of assets, Mwabi Kaluba, who used to be an attorney for the Malawi Police Service, and George Kainja, who used to be inspector general of the Malawi Police Service.

The State Department said that the four “abused their public positions by accepting bribes and other articles of value” from a private businessperson in exchange for a grant to work on government policy.

In the past few years, Malawi’s President Lazarus Chakwera has been fighting crime hard. In January 2022, he got rid of the whole Cabinet because three ministers were being accused of corruption.

Later that same year, Malawi’s Anti-Corruption Bureau caught and charged Saulos Klaus Chilima, the vice president of the country, with graft. According to the group, public officers in Malawi stole money from the government by trying to change how contracts were awarded through the country’s public procurement system.

A lot of people in Malawi live on less than $2 a day, making it one of the most fragile places in the world. The population density puts it in the top 10 in Africa, even though it is a small country.

Continue Reading

Musings From Abroad

Again, British parliament’s upper house frustrates Rwanda migrant plan

Published

on

Rishi Sunak’s plans to send asylum seekers to Rwanda have suffered another setback as it has been rejected again by Britain’s upper house of parliament.

The parliament suggested changes that would delay the policy, but not stop it. The prime minister hopes that this will help his party’s chances in the next election.

Ahead of general elections later this year, Sunak has put a lot of political capital into the Rwanda plan, saying that it will help him keep his promise to stop thousands of people from coming to Britain illegally in small boats.

The House of Lords, which is Britain’s unelected upper house, tried to change the new laws a third time after Monday when the House of Commons turned down its second set of plans. But the move probably won’t stop the bill from being approved this week, which means it will become law.

Sunak wants to go to Rwanda as soon as possible, but the plan could still be thrown out of court. The House of Lords agreed with four ideas. One of them was an amendment to make sure the law follows international law.

The bill returned to the House of Commons on Wednesday as Conservative members are likely to vote against the changes that are being suggested. If that didn’t happen, the upper house might decide it wasn’t possible to get elected lawmakers to make any changes and pass it.

Asylum seekers who come to Britain illegally will be sent back to their home country. This is because of a policy made two years ago that aims to stop dangerous Channel crossings in small boats and end the business model of people smugglers.

The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) stopped the first planned removal flight in June 2022. Last year, the UK Supreme Court said the plan was illegal.

Sunak’s new law, which doesn’t follow some existing human rights laws, is meant to go against the Supreme Court’s decision by saying that British courts should treat Rwanda as a safe place to visit and that people can only appeal in very rare cases.

Nowadays, Europe is worried about people coming in illegally from Africa and the Middle East. In June 2023, a record 45,000 people had flown across the English Channel in small boats.

Continue Reading

EDITOR’S PICK

Tech7 hours ago

Kenya’s agri-tech startup Pula raises $20m funding for farmers’ insurance

Kenyan agri-tech and insurance startup, Pula, has announced raising $20 million Series B funding round which will be used to...

Sports8 hours ago

Kenya’s Peres Jepchirchir fulfils promise of breaking world record at London Marathon

Kenyan Olympic champion, Peres Jepchirchir, on Sunday, lived up to her promise of breaking compatriot Mary Keitany’s women’s-only world record...

Culture11 hours ago

Ghana’s Elmina Fishing Harbour welcomes first-ever cruise liner SH Vega

The Ghanaian tourism industry got a big boost when the legendary Elmina Fishing Harbour welcomed its first ever cruise liner,...

Metro11 hours ago

Zambian agency issues flood alert around Lake Tanganyika areas, advises relocation

The Zambian Water Resources Management Authority (WARMA) has issued a flood alert on areas surrounding Lake Tanganyika in Northern Province,...

Metro14 hours ago

Yoruba secessionist group seeks exit from Nigeria, writes open letter to Tinubu

A secessionist group known as the Yoruba Self-Determination Movement (YSDM) has written an open letter to Nigeria’s President Bola Tinubu...

VenturesNow1 day ago

Binance in talks with Nigerian govt over executive’s detention

Following the arrest of Binance’s head of financial crime compliance by Nigerian authorities last month, the company’s CEO said Thursday...

Metro1 day ago

South African police arrest 8 Nigerians following attacks on officers

The South African Police Service (SAPS) have confirmed the arrest of eight Nigerians for allegedly attacking police officers in Kimberley,...

Tech2 days ago

Africa’s largest tech hub AfriLabs welcomes 16 new additions

The largest network technology hub in Africa, AfriLabs, has announced the admission of 16 new hubs into its fold, thereby...

Culture2 days ago

Wife of Zambian music star Yo Maps sues businessman over alleged cyberbullying

The wife of Zambian music sensation, Elton Mulenga, popularly known as Yo Maps, Kidist Kifle, has sued a Lusaka-based businessman...

Metro2 days ago

IMF gives reasons why it advised Nigeria to remove fuel subsidy

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has given reasons why it advised Nigeria to end the fuel subsidy regime which it...

Trending