Connect with us

Politics

Nigeria says no to citizens as ‘mercenaries’ in Russia, Ukraine war

Published

on

Nigeria says no to citizens as 'mercenaries' in Russia, Ukraine war

Nigeria has said it will not allow its nationals to be enlisted to fight in Ukraine where Russian forces are bombing cities and throwing neighbourhoods off-balance with gunfire.

This follows reports of alleged recruitment of volunteers in the country to fight on the side of Ukraine.

Nigeria’s foreign affairs ministry spokesman Francisca Omayuli in a statement said Nigeria is in talks with Ukrainian counterparts to forestall such an occurrence.

“As a responsible member of the international community and consistent with our obligations under international law, Nigeria discourages the use of mercenaries anywhere in the world and will not tolerate the recruitment, in Nigeria, of Nigerians as mercenaries to fight in Ukraine or anywhere in the world,” Omayuli said.

ALSO READ: $1m bounty placed on Putin but Facebook yanks off post. What we know about the instigator

Nigeria’s foreign ministry said the Ukrainian embassy had denied any role in the alleged exercise.

The embassy confirmed that a number of Nigerians had approached it indicating a willingness to join the war, according to a ministry statement.

Also, the embassy also distanced itself from claims that it was requesting $1,000 (£800) from each Nigerian volunteer for an air ticket and visa and that it is not admitting foreign volunteer fighters.

“Nigeria discourages the use of mercenaries anywhere in the world and will not tolerate the recruitment, in Nigeria, of Nigerians as mercenaries to fight in Ukraine or anywhere else in the world,” the ministry’s spokesperson said.

It comes days after Senegal warned against volunteers enlisting to fight against Russians in Ukraine.

It also ordered the Ukrainian ambassador to take down a Facebook post that had called on Senegalese volunteers to enlist in the war, Africa News said.

Politics

Sierra Leone imprisons 11 military, police officers over coup attempt

Published

on

Sierra Leone’s high court has sentenced 11 soldiers and police officers to hefty prison terms for their alleged roles in an attempted military coup last year.

On November 26, gunmen in Sierra Leone freed 2,200 detainees and killed over 20 in military barracks, a jail, and other locations.

After the coup attempt failed, 12 individuals were charged with treason in January. On Monday night, a unanimous jury found 11 guilty of 20 counts, including treason, murder, and military uniform use.

Due to health difficulties, the APC’s Bai Mahmoud Bangura, the twelfth accused, is being tried separately.

Amadu Koita Makalo, a retired army major and former bodyguard of ex-president Ernest Bai Koroma, received consecutive 40-70-year sentences for multiple counts.

Two female police officers were sentenced. Ramatu Kamanda Conteh received 30 years of harbouring Koita.

The government attributed the coup attempt to Koroma’s bodyguards, who were ultimately charged with four offences. However, the government let him leave the country on medical grounds.

Ex-president, Ernest Bai Koroma was accused of participating in a botched military coup attempt in November, and on January 3, was charged with four offences. However, a high court decided on Wednesday that Koroma was free to leave the nation.

His lawyers labelled the coup attempt “trumped up” and a “political vendetta” while Koroma condemned it.

Two decades after a 1991-2002 civil conflict that killed over 50,000 Sierra Leoneans, tensions have risen again.

Continue Reading

Politics

Tanzania’s president fires foreign, information ministers

Published

on

Tanzania’s President, Samia Suluhu Hassan, has announced the sack of two top officials, including the foreign minister, in a mini-cabinet reshuffle.

Hassan took steps to rebuild international trust in his economic and political reforms, including relaxing restrictions on opposition parties and media, which had been criticized for failing.

The presidency stated late Sunday that Hassan fired January Makamba, minister of foreign affairs and East Africa cooperation, and Nape Nnauye, minister of information, communication, and IT.

They are influential in Chama cha Mapinduzi, the ruling party.

No explanation was offered for their removal. Makamba and Nnauye responded slowly to calls for comment.

Nnauye was fired a week after a video showed him suggesting election results depended on who counts ballots and announces them.

Nnauye later apologized, saying it was a joke, but activists and social media users argued it harmed Hassan’s democracy efforts.

Muhammad Thabit Kombo became the foreign affairs minister and Jerry Silaa information, communication, and IT minister under Hassan.

While Silaa was minister of lands, housing, and human settlements development, Kombo was Tanzania’s ambassador to Italy. Two more ministers and deputy ministers were appointed, the presidency stated.

Since 2021, Hassan’s government has been lauded for rolling back her predecessor’s opposition and civil rights crackdowns. The arrests of a lawyer and an opposition leader last year have cast doubt on her government’s human rights record.

Continue Reading

EDITOR’S PICK

Culture14 hours ago

Veteran Nigerian entertainer Charly Boy vows to divorce wife if Kamala Harris doesn’t win US presidential election

Veteran Nigerian entertainer, Charles Oputa, popularly known as Charly Boy, has vowed to divorce his wife of 47 years if...

Victor Osimhen scored his first hat-trick for Napoli (Photo Credit: Getty Images) Victor Osimhen scored his first hat-trick for Napoli (Photo Credit: Getty Images)
Sports14 hours ago

Saudi club Al Hilal places African transfer record bid for Osimhen

Saudi Arabia club side, Al-Hilal, have reportedly made an African transfer record bid for Super Eagles and Napoli striker, Victor...

Metro21 hours ago

Shelve your planned protest, I’m addressing your grievances, Tinubu begs Nigerian youths

President Bola Tinubu has called on aggrieved Nigerian youths and organizers of the planned nationwide #EndBadGovernance protests on August 1...

Politics1 day ago

Sierra Leone imprisons 11 military, police officers over coup attempt

Sierra Leone’s high court has sentenced 11 soldiers and police officers to hefty prison terms for their alleged roles in...

Musings From Abroad1 day ago

RSF to join as US invites Sudan’s warring parties for talks

US Secretary of State, Antony Blinken, announced Tuesday that the Sudanese army and Rapid Support Forces will participate in U.S.-mediated...

Metro2 days ago

Zambia: PF lawmaker Chitotela sentenced to 10 years in prison

A Member of Parliament in Zambia, Ronald Chitotela, has been sentenced to 10 years imprisonment after he was found guilty...

Culture2 days ago

19th edition of Egyptian Book Fair attracts summer visitors to Alexandria

The 19th edition of the Egyptian Book Fair currently holding in the coastal city of Alexandria has seen thousands of...

Victor Osimhen is back with a bang (Photo Credit: Napoli FC) Victor Osimhen is back with a bang (Photo Credit: Napoli FC)
Sports2 days ago

PSG reportedly pulls out of signing Victor Osimhen as negotiations break down

French Ligue 1 giants, Paris Saint-Germain, have reportedly pulled out of signing Nigerian and Napoli striker, Victor Osimhen, after negotiations...

Tech2 days ago

New documentary showcasing stories of African women leaders released

A new documentary aimed at showcasing the stories of women entrepreneurs, industry leaders and investors working to solve real problems...

Metro2 days ago

Despite high cost, Nigerians flock to Canada as permanent residency approvals reach 15-month high

A report by the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) of Canada has revealed that despite the expensive cost of processing...

Trending