Connect with us

Musings From Abroad

Ohio judge orders defendant’s mouth taped during court hearing

An Ohio judge ordered a defendant’s mouth taped shut during a courtroom hearing, and a media outlet’s video caught the scene of an officer duct-taping the man’s face to silence him

Published

on

An Ohio judge ordered a defendant’s mouth taped shut during a courtroom hearing, and a media outlet’s video caught the scene of an officer duct-taping the man’s face to silence him.

The incident took place earlier this week, when a judge in Cleveland, Ohio, ordered Franklyn Williams, 32, to remain silent during his sentencing hearing, according to CNN affiliate WJW.

Despite warnings from Judge John Russo, Williams continued to speak over the judge and his attorneys, according to the video.

The courtroom video, shot by and first aired on WJW, shows Russo repeatedly scolding Williams for talking.

“Mr. Williams,” Russo says on the video, “I’m the judge in the matter. Shut your mouth and I will tell you when you can talk. You got it?”

Russo proceeds to tell Williams that he would like to hear from the defendant’s attorneys first and then will give him a chance to speak, but Williams continues to talk.

Read Also: Suspected Russian spy caught working inside US Embassy

“You are trying to take my life, and you are not letting me tell you what’s going on,” Williams says on the video.
After several interruptions, Russo then gives him a last warning.

“Listen to me, if we have to, I will gag you … you will get a chance to talk,” Russo says. “Just zip it, you will get a chance to talk, I’m going to give you a chance to talk.”

Williams continues to talk, and Russo orders for Williams’ mouth to be taped shut, according to the video.
The video quickly caught the attention of the American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio, which characterized the judge’s actions as humiliating to the defendant.

Musings From Abroad

Russian state company, Malian junta negotiate nuclear deal

Published

on

According to Rosatom, the Russian state nuclear business and the ruling military junta in Mali have signed three cooperation agreements and discussed several projects, including the construction of a low-power nuclear power plant with Russian design, on Wednesday.

For years, Rosatom has been pursuing a charm offensive in Africa in an attempt to secure business through the signing of cooperation agreements with nations all over the continent. As part of that effort, closer ties have been made with juntas in the Sahel region of West Africa, who have retreated from conventional Western allies after seizing power in coups before 2020.

Junta-led administrations in the West African states of Burkina Faso, Guinea, Niger Republic, and Mali have all tilted towards Russia for military ties, severing relations with former colony France and its international ally, the United States.

In a statement, Rosatom claimed that it had met with Assimi Goita, the head of Mali’s junta, on July 2 and 3. It has talks with junta authorities in charge of energy, education, and economics.

The statement added that in addition to talking about a “strategic project to build a Russian-designed low-power nuclear power plant in Mali,” junta leaders and Rosatom also discussed geological exploration projects and solar power generating.

Regarding the projected low-power nuclear power station that might be constructed in Mali, Rosatom withheld information.

“The parties agreed to continue maintaining close contacts and periodically coordinate positions as joint work progresses,” it said.

Continue Reading

Musings From Abroad

UN review shows Uganda supported the M23 rebels in the Congo

Published

on

According to a United Nations report released on Monday, the Ugandan army has assisted the M23 rebel group that is active in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo.

This comes as growing hostilities in the area heighten concerns about the possibility of a new all-out war. Uganda denied involvement and stated that it worked closely with the government forces in the Congo.

Long-standing accusations by the United Nations that Rwanda supports the M23, which has taken control of significant areas of the mineral-rich eastern Congo, have been refuted by Rwanda.

The conflict has torn through the Congo for many years. In 1996 and 1998, Uganda and Rwanda launched invasions under the pretext of defending themselves against regional militias. Uganda and Congolese forces continue to work together to combat a rebel group in Uganda.

Since 2022, the Tutsi-led M23 rebels have been fighting a new insurgency in the militia-ridden east of Congo. A regional force sent in November 2022 to oversee a truce with the M23 included Ugandan soldiers. Last year, Congolese officials demanded that the military leave their country, citing its inefficiency.

“Since the resurgence of the M23 crisis, Uganda has not prevented the presence of M23 and Rwanda Defence Forces (RDF) troops on its territory or passage through it,” the U.N. Security Council’s Group of Experts said in the report, which was sent to the U.N. Security Council Sanctions Committee at the end of April and then to members of the Security Council in June.

The UN panel added that it had proof of active military and military intelligence backing for M23, with M23 leaders—including the banned Sultani Makenga—visiting Uganda for meetings.

When contacted by Reuters, Deo Akiiki, the deputy spokesman for Uganda’s armed forces, stated that these accusations were untrue and unfairly blamed the army of the East African nation during its most favourable relationship with the Congolese troops (FARDC).

“It would be mad for us to destabilise the same area we are sacrificing it all to have it stable,” Akiiki said.

 

Continue Reading

EDITOR’S PICK

Tech4 hours ago

ADB launches mapping project for African women entrepreneurs

The African Development Bank (ADB) has launched a mapping project targeting 160 women entrepreneurs’ associations in 16 African countries. The...

Sports4 hours ago

Professional Fighters League names Cameroonian fighter Ngannou new Africa boss

The Professional Fighters League (PFL) has named Cameroonian Mix Martial Arts fighter, Francis Ngannou, as its African chief. The announcement...

Metro4 hours ago

Zambia ranks 8th in Africa for highest food inflation

Zambia has been ranked as the eighth African country with the highest food inflation as of May 2024, with a...

Politics4 hours ago

Kenya’s Ruto sacks cabinet amidst protests in major win for protesters

In response to pressure from widespread protests that have produced the greatest crisis of his two-year government, Kenyan President William...

Culture4 hours ago

President Tinubu renames Nigeria’s National Theatre after Nobel Laureate Soyinka

The Nigerian National Arts Theatre has been renamed after the country’s only Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, on the occasion...

Metro9 hours ago

Nigerians thrown into mourning as 22 die, 150 injured in school building collapse

Nigerians have been thrown into mourning following the death of 22 victims including young school children and their teachers after...

Sports24 hours ago

Eritrean cyclist Girmay nicks third Tour de France victory

Eritrean cyclist, Biniam Girmay, has created another record after he cycled to his third victory at this year’s Tour de...

Metro24 hours ago

Zambia: Security guard shoots five workers at Simba Beverages company

A Zambian security guard working at the Simba Beverages in Lusaka has been arrested after he shot and wounded five...

Tech24 hours ago

Bolt Kenya launches new campaign to celebrate its drivers

Bolt Kenya has announced the launch of a new reward campaign dubbed, “Drive for a Prize”, aimed at celebrating its...

Culture24 hours ago

Ghanaian woman sets Guinness World Record for ‘Most Cars Washed’ in 8 Hours by an individual

The Guinness World Records (GWR) has officially confirmed a Ghanaian woman, Felicity Asantewaa, as the record holder for “Most Cars...

Trending