Tunisian filmmaker, Kaouther Ben Hania makes waves with ‘Four Daughters’ at Cannes Festival
Tunisian filmmaker, Kaouther Ben Hania has courted the attention of the movie world with the exhibition of her docu-fiction film, “Four Daughters” at the Cannes Festival competition premiere held in Paris, France.
The “Four Daughters”, which is a mix of documentary and fiction and tells the story of a Tunisian mother whose two older daughters joined the radical Islamic terror group, ISIS, drew wide acclaim from critics and is recording good sales following its positive reception.
According to world-renowned Variety movie critic, Jessica Kiang, the Oscar-nominated Ben Hania, whose previous works include “Beauty and the Dogs” and “The Man Who Sold His Skin,” delves into the story of Tunisia’s Olfa Hamrouni who rose to international prominence in April 2016 when she publicized the radicalization of her two teenage daughters who had left Tunisia to fight with ISIS.
“The film, which is the only Arab entry in this year’s Cannes competition, stars Egyptian-Tunisian star, Hend Sabry, in the lead role of an actor who must play Hamrouni and gets coaching from the real Olfa on how to prepare for the role,” Kiang said.
“It also stars two of the four daughters as themselves and actresses Ichraq Matar and Nour Karoui as the two other daughters lost to ISIS.
“Four Daughters” is a compelling, ambitious hybrid, and one of the aspects that makes the film gripping is that we’re not used to seeing this overtly experimental approach applied to a story about the daily struggles of Arab women in a majority-Islamic North African country”, she added.
Ben Hania who also spoke on the success of her movie, said:
“What interested me is that it’s a women’s story and also a story of adolescent women. They are teenagers when everything happened. So what does it mean to be a teenager in a context like this?
“What does it mean to start thinking about sexuality with a mother that does not want to hear about your sexuality or your desire? In a world where desire is punished.”
Kenyan govt to convert ‘evil cult’ forest into a memorial site
The Kenyan government says it plans to convert the Shakahola Forest, where bodies of over 250 members of a Christian cult led by Pastor Paul Mackenzie were exhumed, into a national memorial.
The eastern African country was thrown into a frenzy in April when some followers of the pastor reportedly died after he instructed them to starve to death so they could meet with Jesus.
Kenya’s Interior Minister, Kithure Kindiki, who disclosed the intentions of the government at a press conference on Tuesday, said once the recovery of the bodies buried in the 800-acre forest was complete, the forest would be “turned into a place of remembrance so that people won’t forget what happened there.”
The minister added that the government had enough evidence to prosecute the leader of the cult and the main suspect, Pastor Mackenzie, on charges of genocide after he allegedly convinced his followers to fast to death in order to go to heaven.
“Most of the victims, including children, died of starvation but some were strangled, beaten, or suffocated,” Kindiki said, quoting autopsy reports.
Kindiki said investigations had shown that the cult’s activities extended beyond the Shakahola Forest, adding that investigations had extended to the larger 37,000-acre Chakama ranch in the area.
“Security roads are being constructed to provide access to the expansive area as search and rescue operations and investigations continues,” he said.
Scientists discover world’s oldest burial site in South Africa
Scientists in South Africa say they have discovered the oldest-known burial site in the world “containing remains of a small-brained distant relative of humans previously thought incapable of complex behaviour,” world-renowned palaeoanthropologist, Lee Berger, who led the team of researchers, said on Monday.
The find was announced by the University of the Witwatersrand, the National Geographic Society and the South African National Research Foundation, and published in the journal, eLife.
It challenges the understanding of human evolution which is normally held that the development of bigger brains allowed for the performing of complex functions.
Berger said the research team uncovered evidence that “members of a mysterious archaic human species buried their dead and carved symbols on cave walls long before the earliest evidence of burials by modern humans.”
“The brains belonging to the extinct species, known as Homo naledi, were around one-third the size of a modern human brain,” he said in a statement while announcing the result of the discovery.
“These revelations could change the understanding of human evolution, because until now, such behaviors only have been associated with larger-brained Homo sapiens and Neanderthals,” he added.
According to the palaeoanthropologist, the team discovered several specimens of Homo naledi, a tree-climbing, Stone Age hominid, buried about 30 metres (100 feet) underground in a cave system within the Cradle of Humankind located in Johannesburg, which has been designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
“These are the most ancient interments yet recorded in the hominin record, earlier than evidence of Homo sapiens interments by at least 100,000 years,” Berger wrote.
Before the discovery, the oldest burials previously unearthed were found in the Middle East which contained the remains of Homo sapiens and were around 100,000 years old.
But the South African find reportedly dates back to at least 200,000 BC.
“These discoveries show that mortuary practices were not limited to H. sapiens or other hominins with large brain sizes,” Berger said.
Kenya: Parliament approves appointment of Kamau Thugge as central bank governor
Months after throwing open the position for the country’s top banker, Kenya’s parliament has approved the appointment of Kamau Thugge...
Ghana presents ‘working proposal’ for debt restructuring— IMF sources
West African country, Ghana has made a major move at resolving its debt crisis as the country has presented debt...
Rwandan President, Kagame sacks over 200 military personnel in major shake-up
Rwandan President, Paul Kagame has sacked over 200 soldiers including top military brass and commanders from the Rwanda Defence Force...
Flutterwave partners Token.io to provide seamless bank transfer to users in UK, EU
Pan-Africa’s payments technology company, Flutterwave has entered into a partnership with Europe’s account-to-account (A2A) payment infrastructure provider, Token.io to power...
Kenyan govt to convert ‘evil cult’ forest into a memorial site
The Kenyan government says it plans to convert the Shakahola Forest, where bodies of over 250 members of a Christian...
UN war crimes court declares Rwandan genocide suspect, Felicien Kabuga unfit to stand trial
An 88-year-old Rwandan genocide suspect, Felicien Kabuga has been declared unfit to stand trial by judges at a United Nations...
FIFA honours Osimhen after amazing season with Napoli
Following his record-breaking season with Napoli where he scored 26 goals to win the Serie A top scorer award, Nigerian...
Despite revenue crisis, World Bank projects faster growth for Kenya
The World Bank on Wednesday said progress in the agricultural sector would likely lead to Kenya’s economic growth at a...
Angola, Portugal sign 13-point pact spanning finance, law, others
Angola and Portugal have signed a Memorandum of Understanding including 13 different agreements that cut across financial, legal and other...
Congo DR, Angola advance talks over decades-long oil block dispute
Discussions are on to end a decades-long dispute between the Democratic Republic of Congo and Angola over an off-shore oil...
Strictly Personal2 days ago
In defence of fuel subsidy in Nigeria, By Chidi Chinedu
Tech2 days ago
Samsung Electronics launches e-waste program in Kenya
Metro2 days ago
Kenyan protesters clash with police during demonstration against tax hike
Metro2 days ago
No end in sight as Sudan’s warring factions refuse to back down