Connect with us

Metro

Rwanda to receive first 50 asylum seekers from UK by end of May

Published

on

The first batch of 50 asylum seekers apprehended in the United Kingdom are to be transferred to Rwanda by the end of May for proper profiling, a British government spokesperson said on Friday.

The agreement which has continued to stir up controversies, was reached on April between the UK government and Rwandan and would see the British government sending people seeking asylum to the East African country to be profiled on their proper status, with the Rwandan government getting paid for the service.

Also confirming the imminent transfer, Rwanda’s deputy government spokesman, Alain Mukurarinda, said:

“According to the information we have, the first batch of migrants will arrive by the end of the month; but it is the British government that knows how many will come and when they will come.

“Once they have got their (asylum seeker) status, they will go and live with other Rwandans. They will be free. They will not be prisoners,” Mukurarinda said.

The statement from the Home Office also noted that the British government has started to notify those who are likely to be relocated, with the first flights expected to take place in the coming months.

The plan had initially faced stiff opposition from international human rights groups which expressed concerns over Rwanda’s human rights record as noted by the British government itself noted last year.

In an earlier report, the British government said more than 28,000 migrants and refugees made the crossing from mainland Europe to Britain on rickety boats, prompting the idea of sending those arrested to the African country to be properly profiled.

Britain has said the plan to send people to Rwanda would initially cost 120 million pounds ($158 million), which would be paid by UK.

On Thursday, the Rwandan government took journalists on a tour of hostels that were being adapted to house the migrants, fully paid for by the British government.

Metro

Spanish PM, Pedro Sanchez, blames ‘Mafia’ for human trafficking after African migrants’ deaths at Morocco/Melilla border

Published

on

Spanish PM, Pedro Sanchez, blames ‘Mafia’ for human trafficking after African migrants deaths at Morocco/Melilla border

The Prime Minister of Spain, Pedro Sanchez, has blamed the death of over 20 African migrants at the Morocco/Melillah border while trying to cross to Europe, on a “Mafia” trafficking syndicate.

The incident which happened late on Friday, saw a violent and fatal border incursion on the Moroccan border with the Spanish north African enclave of Melilla, leading to the deaths and injury to scores of Spanish and Moroccan officers injured.

While speaking on the incursion at a press conference in Madrid on Saturday, Sanchez said:

“If there is a party responsible for everything that happened on the border, it is the mafias that traffic in human beings.

“It was an attack on the territorial integrity of our country.

“The tactics of migrants trying to get into Melilla have changed. Before now, they used to spread along the whole length of the fence. Now they concentrate on the part where they think it is weakest,” Sanchez said.

Sanchez who paid tribute to officers on both sides of the border for fighting off “a well-organised, violent assault,” called on more stringent measures to be taken to avoid a future occurrence.

Continue Reading

Metro

South Africa: Eskom announces ‘Stage 4’ power cuts

Published

on

South Africa’s state-owned power utility, Eskom says it will continue with “Stage 4” power cuts until Wednesday.

The power rationing has been through 3 stages. The stage 3 was a level of a power cut on an eight-level system under which the utility implements a seven and a half hour rolling outage across the country. The stage was a five-hour rolling blackout.

The utility said in a statement said “it regrets to inform the public that Stage 4 load shedding is anticipated to continue from 05:00 on Monday morning until midnight at least until Wednesday.”

“This is due to unlawful and unprotected labour action at a number of power stations, which has caused delays in carrying out planned maintenance and repairs.”

Eskom Holdings SOC Ltd is South Africa’s primary electricity supplier, generating approximately 90% of the electricity used in South Africa and approximately 30% of the electricity generated on the African continent.

Continue Reading

EDITOR’S PICK

Politics17 mins ago

South Africa: President Cyril Ramaphosa arrives Germany for G7 Summit

South Africa’s president, Cyril Ramaphosa arrived in Munich, Germany on Sunday for the G-7 summit. According to the South African...

Metro24 mins ago

Spanish PM, Pedro Sanchez, blames ‘Mafia’ for human trafficking after African migrants’ deaths at Morocco/Melilla border

Spanish PM, Pedro Sanchez, blames ‘Mafia’ for human trafficking after African migrants deaths at Morocco/Melilla border The Prime Minister of...

Metro26 mins ago

South Africa: Eskom announces ‘Stage 4’ power cuts

South Africa’s state-owned power utility, Eskom says it will continue with “Stage 4” power cuts until Wednesday. The power rationing has been through 3...

Metro2 hours ago

Tragedy as 22 die in South African night club

At least 22 people have died from exposure to poisonous substances in a popular nightclub in East London, South Africa....

Sports2 hours ago

African soccer stars who flopped in the English Premier League

When English Premier League giants, Arsenal, paid French club Lille, a whopping £72 million which was a club record, for...

Metro22 hours ago

Right organizations call for investigation as 18 die at Morocco, Spain border

Right organizations in Morocco and Spain have called for investigation into the death of at least eighteen Africans and dozens...

Metro22 hours ago

Congo Brazzaville: Oil workers threaten hunger strike over poor pay. How long can they go?

Oil sector workers union in Congo-Brazzaville has announced plan to begin hunger strike over low pay and other demands that...

Metro23 hours ago

Ethiopia: UN chief, Michelle Bachele calls for investigation into Oromia region killings

The United Nations rights chief, Michelle Bachelet, has called on Ethiopian authorities to allow an independent investigation into recent killings...

Metro1 day ago

Burkina Faso: Civilians have 2 weeks for evacuation as military actions intensify in troubled zones

Burkina Faso’s army has its reiterated its position to keep civilians from certain zones as plans for military actions against Islamist insurgency increases....

Metro1 day ago

Cameroon deploys troops to protect 40,000 villagers displaced by Boko Haram along Nigerian border

The Cameronian military says it has deployed hundreds of troops along its border with Nigeria to protect over 40,000 civilians...

Trending