Connect with us

Politics

After many proposals, sanctions, Guinea’s military junta announces 39 months civil transition period

Published

on

Having revealed that it has received “proposals” for a political transition in the country on Friday, Guinea’s military leader, Colonel Mamady Doumbouya, has announced a 39 months transition period before the country returns to civilian rule.

The new announcement was made during a speech broadcast on television on Saturday.

Regional bloc, the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) revealed last week that “Guinea presented the recent developments in the transition process and also wished to have more time in relation to the 25 April deadline”, in order to “allow for further consultations.”

The military head added that the measure would be subject to the National Transitional Council acting as parliament.

“From all consultations at all levels since the beginning of the transition, with all groups of society, from all Guineans wherever they are, the median proposal that emerged is a transition of 39 months. The CNRD [National Rally and Development Committee, ed.] and the government will submit to the National Transition Council (CNT), acting like a parliament.

Colonel Mamady Doumbouya, furthered revealed that it arrived at the decision after long and patient consultations”,

The announcement followed the creation of what the military leader described as an “inclusive consultation framework” in April.

The resulting conference culminated in a boycott by several prominent political groups.

West Africa has been rocked by two coups in Mali, one in Guinea and one in Burkina Faso since August 2020. The three countries were suspended from ECOWAS following military coups and hit by a raft of economic sanctions.

Politics

Rwandan President, Paul Kagame, accuses DRC of supporting rebels fighting his government

Published

on

President Paul Kagame of Rwanda has accused the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), of giving arms and logistic support to rebels fighting his government after the DRC has continued to blame Rwanda of supporting the M23 rebels who have been causing mayhem in the mineral rich eastern Congo.

In a televised address on Monday, Kagame said his country is seriously concerned by the support the DRC has been giving to the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), a Congo-based rebel group that has been opposed to his government.

The two eastern African neighbours have been locked in an acrimonious relations with accusations and counter accusations flowing from both ends after the M23 group captured the Congolese town of Bunagana at the Uganda border with Kinshasa accusing the Rwandan troops of arming the militia.

Rwanda on it’s part, has vehemently denied supporting M23, and is now throwing its own accusation on DRC of supporting the rebels troubling its country.

While making the allegations, Kagame said Congo is actively arming the FDLR whose fighters are linked to the 2019 killing of hundreds of people in the northern Rwandan town of Kinigi.

“It’s on record and with facts that Congo is supporting FDLR, and unfortunately with the knowledge of MONUSCO,” Kagame said, fingering the U.N. peacekeepers who have been on ground to battle the rebels.

“They have recently been behaving like spoilt children. They cause trouble and then start crying foul,” Kagame said.

While the two countries have been grappling with the menace of rebels, leaders of the regional bloc under the East African Community have been working toward deploying a peacekeeping force in eastern Congo’s restive provinces, but both DRC President, Felix Tshisekedi, has kicked against the inclusion of Rwandan troops in the regional peacekeeping force.

Continue Reading

Politics

Tunisia President Saied dares opposition, defends new constitution despite criticism

Published

on

Tunisia’s President Kais Saied has defended his proposed new constitution despite widespread criticism and protest by opposition figures, saying the the constitution when passed, would not restore authoritarian rule.

Most political parties and civil society groups have continued to oppose the constitution saying it was drawn up unilaterally by Saied’s allies whom he handpicked to do his bidding.

The critics have also questioned the legitimacy of the constitution with a referendum set for July 25 which they say would give Tunisians less than four weeks to decide on it with no minimum rate of participation for it to pass.

The head of the committee that prepared the first draft the constitution, Sadok Belaid, also criticised the version which Saied rewrote, saying the president’s version was “dangerous and paves the way for a disgraceful dictatorial regime.”

But while hitting back at the opposition and the wave of criticism that followed the publication of the draft in the Tunisian National Gazzete, Saied on Tuesday, urged the people to support it in the referendum to adopt the constitution.

In a letter addressed to Tunisian and published by state, Saied assured that fears by those against the new constitution are misplaced as there was no danger to Tunisians’ rights and freedoms.

“Everyone knows what Tunisia has suffered for decades, especially the last decade. They emptied state coffers. The poor got poorer, the corrupt got richer,” Said narrated, while accusing critics of the constitution of “slanders, far from reality”.

Saied entered the bad books of most opposition figures in the North African country when he ousted the elected parliament and set out to rule by decree which many had termed a coup.

He further angered many by dissolving the electoral commission and named a new body with himself as the head. Not done, Saied also sacked 57 judges last month, accusing them of supporting Islamists.

But his supporters say he is “standing up to elite forces whose bungling and corruption have condemned Tunisia to a decade of political paralysis and economic stagnation.”

Continue Reading

EDITOR’S PICK

Metro6 hours ago

Terrorists attack Nigerian Correctional Service Centre, release dangerous criminals

A premium Correctional Service Center, the Kuje Medium Prison, in Nigeria’s capital of Abuja, came under severe attack by heavily...

Metro6 hours ago

Terrorists attack President Buhari’s convoy in Salah home coming. Who is safe?

The presidency in Nigeria has confirmed that bandit attacked the presidential convoy of President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday. Presidential Spokesman,...

Metro18 hours ago

Sudanese security forces descend on anti-coup protesters after military leader, al-Burhan’s promise

Eleven anti-coup protesters were seriously wounded when Sudanese security forces descended on a sit-in protest to disperse demonstrators in the...

Politics19 hours ago

Rwandan President, Paul Kagame, accuses DRC of supporting rebels fighting his government

President Paul Kagame of Rwanda has accused the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), of giving arms and logistic support to...

VenturesNow19 hours ago

Zimbabwe continues battle to save currency, introduces gold coins as legal tender. Will that work?

South African country, Zimbabwe has continued its battle at fighting inflation as its central bank will start issuing gold coins...

Metro20 hours ago

Explosion kills 2 United Nations peacekeepers in Mali

The explosion of an improvised device has killed at least two United Nations peacekeepers and five severely wounded in northern...

Metro23 hours ago

Rare humanitarian window by Ethiopia allows aid into war-ravaged Tigray region

A rare humanitarian window created by Ethiopia has allowed aid to flow into the embattled Northern Ethiopian region of Tigray...

Politics1 day ago

Tunisia President Saied dares opposition, defends new constitution despite criticism

Tunisia’s President Kais Saied has defended his proposed new constitution despite widespread criticism and protest by opposition figures, saying the...

Politics1 day ago

Sudan’s junta leader, General al-Burhan, promises to withdraw army from civilian government

Leader of Sudan’s military junta, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, has promised he will withdraw the army from further participating in...

Metro1 day ago

Nearly €20 million in contention as Chad arrests top oil sector, banking officials

An investigation into embezzlement at the national oil company in Chad has led to the arrest of a group of...

Trending