Connect with us

Metro

Week after Abuja-Kaduna train attack, Nigerian Railway Corporation says 168 still missing

Published

on

Following the uncertainty surrounding the numbers of passengers and victims of a terrorist attack on an Abuja-Kaduna train which killed eight people in Nigeria last week, the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has revealed that it cannot account for 168 people.

NRC managing director Fidet Okhiria said in a statement late on Sunday that 168 people were unaccounted for but did not say if all were passengers or if some NRC staff were among them.

“Intensive work continues on track repairs. More concrete Sleepers were moved to the site while some sections of twisted tracks have been straightened. We remain grateful to the security agencies for all the support. We are very appreciative of Squadron Commander MOPOL 1 Kaduna’s visit to the accident site today.”

” The NRC will continue to update the general public of developments to prevent misleading information and falsehood,” he added.

Slamreportafrica.com reported last week that several passengers on board an Abuja-Kaduna train were feared killed after bandits attacked the train with bombs and IED explosives on Monday night.

Nigeria’s Minister for Transport, Rotimi Amaechi later that week said 398 passengers were on board, although the Kaduna State Government said 362 were validated as having boarded. The minister claimed 41 persons were receiving treatment while the number of missing persons couldn’t be ascertained.

“We don’t have all the figures of missing persons, kidnapped and those injured at the moment but the numbers we have is that there are eight casualties.” The minister said.

Although no group has claimed responsibility for the attack, terrorist activities have taken an upward trend in Nigeria since the deadly Boko Haram sect based in North-Eastern Nigeria, which is also active in Chad, Niger and northern Cameroon was founded in 2002.

Some sessions of the media are reporting that relatives of the missing have said suspected bandits had contacted them to say they were holding their loved ones and haggling for ransom before the hostages are released.

 

 

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Zambian agency issues flood alert around Lake Tanganyika areas, advises relocation

Published

on

The Zambian Water Resources Management Authority (WARMA) has issued a flood alert on areas surrounding Lake Tanganyika in Northern Province, warning residents in the affected areas to relocate and move upland to avoid being caught unawares.

Acting Director General of WARMA, Frank Nyoni, who face the warning, said the authority had observed rising water levels in Lake Tanganyika which are likely to cause flooding in some areas of Mpulungu and Nsama Districts.

In a statement issued in Lusaka on Saturday, Nyoni said the rise in the Lake water levels are due to intense rainfall received in the Northern parts of Zambia.

“The areas which are likely to be affected include Mpulungu Harbour, Kasaba Bay, Nsumbu Bay, Nkamba Bay, Chituta Bay, Mbete Bay and other areas along the shoreline,” Nyoni said in the statement.

The Acting DG stated that the Authority had observed that the water levels in “Lake Tanganyika had exceeded the long-term average with the highest lake water level of 4.36m which was recorded in 1964, exceeded by 0.53m as of 1 2th April, 2024, reaching a record high of 4.89m.”

“Furthermore, the Lake water levels are still rising and it is anticipated that the peak will be reached by June, 2024,” Nyoni added.

He therefore, advised that members of the public using the Lake and settlers along the lake shorelines in the affected areas should be on high alert and consider possibly moving upland as the Lake levels are still on the rise.

“The Authority will continue to monitor the Lake water levels and will keep the public informed of any changes in the situation,” he promised.

Continue Reading

Metro

Yoruba secessionist group seeks exit from Nigeria, writes open letter to Tinubu

Published

on

A secessionist group known as the Yoruba Self-Determination Movement (YSDM) has written an open letter to Nigeria’s President Bola Tinubu seeking to break away from the country.

The group, which describes itself as a leading figure in the self-determination struggle for a Yoruba sovereign state separate from Nigeria, said it was demanding to pull the Yoruba nation out of the present Nigeria through peaceful negotiations.

In the letter addressed to the President on Saturday, the group said it was prepared to negotiate terms of the secession from Nigeria due to the activities of suspected Fulani herdsmen in their region and in Nigeria as a whole.

The letter jointly signed by leaders of prominent Yoruba advocacy groups including Prof. Banji Akintoye, the national leader of the YSDM; Chief Sunday Adeyemo Igboho, leader of the Yoruba National Defence and Otunba Ola Ademola, Vice-Chairman Yoruba Self-determination Movement, said:

“We have the honour to send to Your Excellency this important letter on behalf of the many millions of Yoruba people at home in Yorubaland in Nigeria and in the Yoruba Diaspora in almost all countries across the world.

“We send this letter most respectfully to Your Excellency as a follow-up to our earlier letter, dated August 06, 2022, which we delivered to your predecessor, President Muhammadu Buhari, in his exalted position then as President of Nigeria.

“Since 2015, the Fulani have been killing widely among the other peoples of Nigeria, including us Yoruba, destroying farms, villages and other assets, kidnapping men, women and children, extorting large amounts of money as ransom from friends and family of the kidnapped, and repeatedly asserting their intention to seize the homelands of all the indigenous peoples of Nigeria for the purpose of turning all into a Fulani homeland.

“In our Yoruba homeland, our people are resisting somewhat better, but the Fulani attacks and killings and kidnappings are unrelenting and are coming daily, leading to horrific instability, and forcing most of our farmers to abandon farming altogether, thereby dooming Yoruba people to years and years of famine. According to an unofficial estimate, the Fulani have killed as many as 29,000 Yoruba people in the years since 2015.

“And our reason is that we know that restructuring cannot keep the Fulani marauders away from our homeland – since, after restructuring, the Fulani would still be Nigerians like us, and would still have full citizens’ rights to come in large numbers, and with weapons and intent to kill and destroy and seize land, to our homeland.

“Their spokespersons have said again and again unambiguously that their Fulani nation has prepared all its citizens to fight their current war of subjugation and land seizure for decades and even centuries to come.

“We Yoruba must not underestimate the Fulani; we must not condemn our people to Fulani killings, destruction, raping, kidnapping and extortion of ransom for decades or centuries to come. Our Yoruba nation may not survive such prolonged battering.

“Your Excellency, we Yoruba Self-determination Movement, acting for and on behalf of our 60-million Yoruba people of the Ekiti State, Lagos State, Ogun State, Ondo State, Osun State, and Oyo State, plus the Yoruba Local Government Areas of Kogi State and Kwara State, and plus the Itshekiri homeland of Delta State, all together constituting the Yorubalnd in Nigeria, hereby most humbly place our crowning request before Your Excellency as follows:

“That the Nigerian Federal Government shall, within the next two months, but not later than June 15, 2024, inform us Yoruba Self-determination Movement that the Nigerian Federal Government have graciously agreed to our proposal for negotiation and that they have set up a negotiation team that will meet and dialogue with our Yoruba nation’s negotiation team.

“That as soon as we receive the communication from the Nigerian Federal Government, in response to this request of ours for negotiation; we shall forward the list of our negotiation team to the Nigerian Federal Government.

“That the Nigerian Federal Government’s negotiation team and our negotiation team shall meet to appoint co-chair persons, to agree on a date for the first negotiation meeting, to the negotiation venue, and to the negotiation agenda and process.

“That the Nigerian Federal Government shall invite the United Nations, African Union and the Economic Community of West African States, to send observers to the negotiation meetings.

“Your Excellency, please accept the best assurance of our highest regards and our best wishes.”

Continue Reading

EDITOR’S PICK

Tech8 hours ago

Kenya’s agri-tech startup Pula raises $20m funding for farmers’ insurance

Kenyan agri-tech and insurance startup, Pula, has announced raising $20 million Series B funding round which will be used to...

Sports8 hours ago

Kenya’s Peres Jepchirchir fulfils promise of breaking world record at London Marathon

Kenyan Olympic champion, Peres Jepchirchir, on Sunday, lived up to her promise of breaking compatriot Mary Keitany’s women’s-only world record...

Culture12 hours ago

Ghana’s Elmina Fishing Harbour welcomes first-ever cruise liner SH Vega

The Ghanaian tourism industry got a big boost when the legendary Elmina Fishing Harbour welcomed its first ever cruise liner,...

Metro12 hours ago

Zambian agency issues flood alert around Lake Tanganyika areas, advises relocation

The Zambian Water Resources Management Authority (WARMA) has issued a flood alert on areas surrounding Lake Tanganyika in Northern Province,...

Metro14 hours ago

Yoruba secessionist group seeks exit from Nigeria, writes open letter to Tinubu

A secessionist group known as the Yoruba Self-Determination Movement (YSDM) has written an open letter to Nigeria’s President Bola Tinubu...

VenturesNow1 day ago

Binance in talks with Nigerian govt over executive’s detention

Following the arrest of Binance’s head of financial crime compliance by Nigerian authorities last month, the company’s CEO said Thursday...

Metro2 days ago

South African police arrest 8 Nigerians following attacks on officers

The South African Police Service (SAPS) have confirmed the arrest of eight Nigerians for allegedly attacking police officers in Kimberley,...

Tech2 days ago

Africa’s largest tech hub AfriLabs welcomes 16 new additions

The largest network technology hub in Africa, AfriLabs, has announced the admission of 16 new hubs into its fold, thereby...

Culture2 days ago

Wife of Zambian music star Yo Maps sues businessman over alleged cyberbullying

The wife of Zambian music sensation, Elton Mulenga, popularly known as Yo Maps, Kidist Kifle, has sued a Lusaka-based businessman...

Metro2 days ago

IMF gives reasons why it advised Nigeria to remove fuel subsidy

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has given reasons why it advised Nigeria to end the fuel subsidy regime which it...

Trending