Connect with us

Metro

From leisure to death, explosion kills colonel, captain, others in Congo military camp bar

Published

on

Congo’s government spokesman, Patrick Muyaya, on Thursday revealed an explosion has killed Lt-Colonel, a Captain, and four others in a bar at a Katindo military camp in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.

Other victims from the clash are the Lt-Colonel’s wife, the owner of the bistro, and her friend, as well as a 12-year-old teenager are among the dead.

The cause of the incident was not immediately clear. But the minister revealed that appropriate authorities have been deployed to investigate, said Muyaya on Twitter.

A thread of tweets from Congo’s Ministry of Communication (translated on google) reads.

“Explosion at the Katindo military camp. Here are the updates and details: The incident took place in a Bistro located about 100 meters from the regional military hospital in the commune of Karisimbi, Goma. This strong explosion caused enormous human and material damage”

“… There were not 8 deaths as officially announced previously, because the 2 given for dead are rather seriously injured.”

“This provisional report also mentions 15 wounded including 13 lightly interned in the same military hospital and 2 seriously wounded transferred to the general hospital of Ndosho.”

“Pending the expertise of the Scientific Police which is hard at work, it is difficult, at present, to specify the nature and origin of the explosion. The Military Governor of North Kivu calls on the population to calm down and not to fall into speculation.”

The Congolese army is battling multiple rebel groups in its restive east. There was no early indication that the explosion was caused by an attack.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Zambian Police bar political party leaders from attending church services

Published

on

The political crisis in Zambia took a new disturbing dimension on Sunday when heavily armed Police Officers stopped Presidents of political parties under the United Kwacha Alliance (UKA) coalition from attending various church services in the Copperbelt region.

Those affected, according to Zambian Monitor, include ex-president, Edgar Lungu, and New Heritage Party (NHP) president, Chishala Kateka, who were blocked from attending a designated church service where they had been initially invited but later managed to sneak into a Catholic Church.

Others affected by the police action were Presidents of Christian Democratic Party, Dan Pule, and National Congress Party leader, Peter Chanda, who were scheduled to worship at Christ the King Church in Kitwe but were turned away by police officers who escorted them out of Kitwe.

However, the UKA Chairperson, Sakwiba Sikota, and Zambia Republican Party leader, Wright Musoma, managed to escape the police dragnet and worshiped at Disciples Fellowship Ministries International (DFMI) in Ndola.

Citizens First President, Harry Kalaba, was in Chingola at St Peters and Paul’s Parish when alleged armed UPND cadres surrounded the parish.

Kalaba was later seen in a social media video being whisked away through the backdoor of the church, leaving behind his vehicles, and went to BIGOCA in Lulamba where the UPND cadres followed him again.

Speaking on the situation, Kalaba told journalists:

“In President Hakainde Hichilema’s regime, the Police have been summoning and arresting clergy critical of his government including disrupting meetings between priests and opposition political figures.”

UKA Chairperson for Communications, Jackson Silavwe, said it was worth noting that President Hichilema had never attended and officiated at the National Day of Prayer and Fasting with his UPND senior officials and members calling it a “useless” day when in the opposition.

“It is therefore, not surprising that the Zambia Police under President Hichilema’s government are showing the same gross contempt towards the clergy and churches who associate with critical voices,” he said.

Silavwe alleged that the heavy handedness by the Zambia Police of this magnitude towards clergy and the church had never been seen before in the history of Zambia, claiming Hichilema had once again scored another ‘first’ under his administration.

Continue Reading

Metro

Nigerian govt insists on N62,000 minimum wage despite Labour’s stance

Published

on

The lingering feud between the Nigerian government and organized labour on the minimum wage saga may not have an end soon as the government has insisted that it will not pay a dime above the N62,000 it had proposed despite labour pegging its demand at N250,000.

A statement from the Presidency on Sunday stated in clear terms that the N250,000 minimum wage clamour by Organised Labour was unsustainable, warning that the Federal Government could not channel all its resources to meet such a demand.

The position of the Nigerian government is coming after the Association of Local Governments of Nigeria (ALGON) also raised concerns over the amount being proposed by the FG in the face of escalating inflation and high cost of living.

ALGON, had, in a statement, said if approved, the wage may put a strain on the councils’ financial burden.

Several rounds of talks between government and labour leaders have stalled as the Tripartite Committee set up to negotiate on behalf of government has failed to reach a compromise with labour.

The labour unions have described the proposal as an insult to the intelligence of the average Nigerian worker, whom they say deserve far better than what the government offered.

Special Adviser to President Bola Tinubu on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, in an interview, disclosed that unless the Nigeria Labour Congress and the Trade Union Congress were selfish, they should consider that the resources meant for the entire Nigerians could not be channeled to only the benefit of their members who are not more than 10 per cent of the entire population.

“That is why we keep telling labour to be realistic because the government cannot use all its resources to pay workers. They have other things to do. The workers we are even talking about are not up to 10 per cent of the population.

“Many people are self-employed or engaged in the private sector, who are not members of Labour, and are not affected by this demand.

“This is even more reason why labour has to reconsider their decision critically instead of always striving to shut down the system. What the FG did was in consultation with the private sector and others.

“Only Labour, which appears to be in the minority, kept saying they won’t accept N62,000. They are not even employers but employees.

“Let us wait and hear what they are going to say after their return from the ILO conference. But they have to be realistic,” Onanuga reiterated.

Onanuga added that the Federal Government might not meet the Labour leaders again unless something cogent turned up.

“I am not sure whether the FG is meeting with them or whether its position on the minimum wage has changed. Don’t forget the current amount on the table was arrived at by the committee that also has the private sector where the NECA and NACIMMA were also represented.

“That was the figure the FG delegation, sub-nationals, employers, NECA and other sectors agreed on. So, the FG cannot just decide on any other amount of money on its own without carrying these people along.

“And the government cannot just decide anything without ensuring that the state and local governments are able to pay,” he said.

Continue Reading

EDITOR’S PICK

Musings From Abroad7 hours ago

France to withdraw forces from West and Central Africa

According to three sources quoted by AFP, France intends to scale back its military deployment in West and Central Africa...

Politics7 hours ago

5 parties now part of South Africa’s unity government— ANC

South Africa’s ruling party, the African National Congress (ANC), has announced that negotiations with other parties are still underway as...

Behind the News7 hours ago

Behind the News: All the backstories to our major news this week

Over the past week, there have been many important stories from around the African continent, and we have served you...

Video8 hours ago

Video: Nigerian Afrobeats star Adekunle Gold tells sickle cell story

In this interview, Kenyan journalist, Larry Madowo, speaks to Nigerian singer, Adekunle Gold, on living with sickle cell disease and...

VenturesNow8 hours ago

Nigeria’s Dangote Sugar Refinery issues commercial papers worth N42.79 billion at rates of 25%, 23%

Nigeria’s Dangote Sugar Refinery has declared the issuance of its N42.79 billion Series 4 and 5 commercial papers, offered at...

Metro10 hours ago

Zambian Police bar political party leaders from attending church services

The political crisis in Zambia took a new disturbing dimension on Sunday when heavily armed Police Officers stopped Presidents of...

Culture10 hours ago

Rema’s ‘Calm Down’ breaks US record with one billion streams

Nigerian Afrobeats sensation, Divine Ikubor, popularly known as Rema, has broken another music record after his hit song, “Calm Down”,...

Sports10 hours ago

Former Kenyan Olympic champion Wilfred Bungei gives reasons for joining politics

Former Kenyan 800m Olympic champion turned politician, Wilfred Bungei, has explained the reason behind his decision to transit into the...

Tech11 hours ago

Airtel Africa activates subsea cable connecting Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa

Airtel Africa has announced the successful activation of the 2Africa submarine cable system that will connect Kenya, Tanzania, and South...

Metro20 hours ago

Nigerian govt insists on N62,000 minimum wage despite Labour’s stance

The lingering feud between the Nigerian government and organized labour on the minimum wage saga may not have an end...

Trending