Connect with us

Metro

Cameroon: Cholera kills 105, subsides in Buea, but Limbe, Tiko remain in spotlight

Published

on

The Director of the Cholera Unit at the Buea Hospital in Cameroon, Dr Martin Mokake,  has hinted that the situation regarding the outbreak of Cholera has subsided for two straight weeks in the Buea region although towns like Limbe and Tiko remain in the spotlight with nearly 100 new infections in Cameroon.

Cheering news comes after Cameroon’s Health Minister, Manaouda Malachie, last week revealed that there has been an outbreak of cholera that has killed 29 people in the past week and 260 new have been recorded.

In total, there have been 4627 patients and 105 deaths since the recent cholera outbreak.

“The situation here has indeed stabilized, we have had many cases, we have had a cumulative 350 cases of patients who have been treated following this disease, and among them, we have had 6 deaths from cholera. At the moment we have 9 patients hospitalized because we released some of them this morning” said Dr. Martin Mokake.

“While the cholera pandemic situation seems to be improving here in Buea in the South West regional capital, towns like Limbe and Tiko remain in the spotlight with nearly 100 new infections as announced by the Cameroonian Minister of Public Health in a tweet between March 25 and April 5”.

Cholera is an acute diarrhoeal infection caused by ingestion of food or water contaminated with the bacterium Vibrio cholera. Cholera remains a global threat to public health and an indicator of inequity and lack of social development. Researchers have estimated that every year, there are roughly 1.3 to 4.0 million cases, and 21 000 to 143 000 deaths worldwide due to cholera.

“At the beginning, many people believed in the idea that cholera does not exist, but when the epidemic really started to grow not only in Tiko, when they learnt that there are deaths in Buea, Limbe, they started to believe in the existence of cholera. Some of them were even forced to come here to the treatment centre, seeing their relatives in bad shape, vomiting, they were convinced that it exists”.

Another cause behind the outbreak is the glaring lack of toilets and drinking water for the population.

“Generally it is due to the poor quality of access to water and the deplorable sanitary conditions. The state of the toilets is really not good in Likomba and in the whole town of Tiko, some people don’t even have toilets, and they relieve themselves directly in streams, and the inhabitants depend on these streams to drink, and it’s so bad”, concluded Dr. Meguete Eposi.

 

Metro

Spanish PM, Pedro Sanchez, blames ‘Mafia’ for human trafficking after African migrants’ deaths at Morocco/Melilla border

Published

on

Spanish PM, Pedro Sanchez, blames ‘Mafia’ for human trafficking after African migrants deaths at Morocco/Melilla border

The Prime Minister of Spain, Pedro Sanchez, has blamed the death of over 20 African migrants at the Morocco/Melillah border while trying to cross to Europe, on a “Mafia” trafficking syndicate.

The incident which happened late on Friday, saw a violent and fatal border incursion on the Moroccan border with the Spanish north African enclave of Melilla, leading to the deaths and injury to scores of Spanish and Moroccan officers injured.

While speaking on the incursion at a press conference in Madrid on Saturday, Sanchez said:

“If there is a party responsible for everything that happened on the border, it is the mafias that traffic in human beings.

“It was an attack on the territorial integrity of our country.

“The tactics of migrants trying to get into Melilla have changed. Before now, they used to spread along the whole length of the fence. Now they concentrate on the part where they think it is weakest,” Sanchez said.

Sanchez who paid tribute to officers on both sides of the border for fighting off “a well-organised, violent assault,” called on more stringent measures to be taken to avoid a future occurrence.

Continue Reading

Metro

South Africa: Eskom announces ‘Stage 4’ power cuts

Published

on

South Africa’s state-owned power utility, Eskom says it will continue with “Stage 4” power cuts until Wednesday.

The power rationing has been through 3 stages. The stage 3 was a level of a power cut on an eight-level system under which the utility implements a seven and a half hour rolling outage across the country. The stage was a five-hour rolling blackout.

The utility said in a statement said “it regrets to inform the public that Stage 4 load shedding is anticipated to continue from 05:00 on Monday morning until midnight at least until Wednesday.”

“This is due to unlawful and unprotected labour action at a number of power stations, which has caused delays in carrying out planned maintenance and repairs.”

Eskom Holdings SOC Ltd is South Africa’s primary electricity supplier, generating approximately 90% of the electricity used in South Africa and approximately 30% of the electricity generated on the African continent.

Continue Reading

EDITOR’S PICK

Politics13 mins ago

South Africa: President Cyril Ramaphosa arrives Germany for G7 Summit

South Africa’s president, Cyril Ramaphosa arrived in Munich, Germany on Sunday for the G-7 summit. According to the South African...

Metro19 mins ago

Spanish PM, Pedro Sanchez, blames ‘Mafia’ for human trafficking after African migrants’ deaths at Morocco/Melilla border

Spanish PM, Pedro Sanchez, blames ‘Mafia’ for human trafficking after African migrants deaths at Morocco/Melilla border The Prime Minister of...

Metro21 mins ago

South Africa: Eskom announces ‘Stage 4’ power cuts

South Africa’s state-owned power utility, Eskom says it will continue with “Stage 4” power cuts until Wednesday. The power rationing has been through 3...

Metro2 hours ago

Tragedy as 22 die in South African night club

At least 22 people have died from exposure to poisonous substances in a popular nightclub in East London, South Africa....

Sports2 hours ago

African soccer stars who flopped in the English Premier League

When English Premier League giants, Arsenal, paid French club Lille, a whopping £72 million which was a club record, for...

Metro22 hours ago

Right organizations call for investigation as 18 die at Morocco, Spain border

Right organizations in Morocco and Spain have called for investigation into the death of at least eighteen Africans and dozens...

Metro22 hours ago

Congo Brazzaville: Oil workers threaten hunger strike over poor pay. How long can they go?

Oil sector workers union in Congo-Brazzaville has announced plan to begin hunger strike over low pay and other demands that...

Metro22 hours ago

Ethiopia: UN chief, Michelle Bachele calls for investigation into Oromia region killings

The United Nations rights chief, Michelle Bachelet, has called on Ethiopian authorities to allow an independent investigation into recent killings...

Metro1 day ago

Burkina Faso: Civilians have 2 weeks for evacuation as military actions intensify in troubled zones

Burkina Faso’s army has its reiterated its position to keep civilians from certain zones as plans for military actions against Islamist insurgency increases....

Metro1 day ago

Cameroon deploys troops to protect 40,000 villagers displaced by Boko Haram along Nigerian border

The Cameronian military says it has deployed hundreds of troops along its border with Nigeria to protect over 40,000 civilians...

Trending