Connect with us

Musings From Abroad

US journalist killed in Ukraine as committee for press seeks justice

Published

on

An American journalist was killed near the capital, Kyiv in Ukraine when he and a colleague came under fire, regional police and a government official have said.

Russian troops opened fire on the car of Brent Renaud and another journalist in Irpin, about 10km (6 miles) northwest of the capital, the Kyiv police force said in a statement on Sunday. It said the injured journalist was taken to a hospital in Kyiv.

The adviser to Ukraine’s interior minister, Anton Herashchenko, confirmed the incident on a Telegram channel.

The journalist being treated at the hospital said he and a colleague were shot after they were stopped at a checkpoint just after a bridge in Irpin.

Juan Arredondo told Italian journalist Annalisa Camilli in an interview from the hospital before being taken for surgery that the colleague who was with him was hit in the neck and remained on the ground earlier on Sunday.

Camilli told The Associated Press news agency that she was at the hospital when Arredondo arrived and that Arredondo himself had been wounded, hit in the lower back when stopped at a Russian checkpoint.

He told Camilli that he and Renaud were filming refugees fleeing the area when they were shot at while in a car approaching a checkpoint. The driver turned around but the firing at them continued, Arredondo added.

Meanwhile, the Committee to Protect Journalists called for the killers to be brought to justice.

“We are shocked and saddened to learn of the death of U.S. journalist Brent Renaud in Ukraine. This kind of attack is totally unacceptable, and is a violation of international law,” said Carlos Martinez de la Serna, CPJ’s program director, in New York. “Russian forces in Ukraine must stop all violence against journalists and other civilians at once, and whoever killed Renaud should be held to account.”

Musings From Abroad

UN sanctions six Congolese rebels over crisis in its eastern region

Published

on

Six members of five armed organisations in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) have been sanctioned by the United Nations Security Council as violence between the Congolese army and M23 Tutsi-led rebels, who are backed by Rwanda, has escalated.

 

The fighting in this decades-long battle has made it more likely that Rwanda and Congo could go to war, which might draw in armies from nearby countries like South Africa, Burundi, Uganda, Tanzania, and Malawi.

 

The Deputy U.S. Ambassador to the UN, Robert Wood, told a meeting of the 15-member Security Council that “The United States firmly supports the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the DRC and lasting peace for all Congolese people. Rwanda and the DRC must walk back from the brink of war.”

A travel ban, asset freeze, and arms embargo were placed on two leaders of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), one commander of the Twirwaneho armed organisation, and one leader of the National People’s Coalition for the Sovereignty of Congo (CNPSC) rebels by the Security Council’s DRC sanctions committee.

The military spokesman for the M23 Tutsi-led rebels, allegedly backed by Rwanda, and a leader of the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), an organisation started by Hutus who left Rwanda after participating in the 1994 genocide that killed over 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus, were also placed on the UN list.

“These individuals are responsible for numerous abuses,” Wood said of the six sanctioned individuals.

After replacing a previous U.N. operation in 2010 to aid in reducing insecurity in the country’s east, Congo has been home to a UN peacekeeping force known as MONUSCO for more than 13 years.

Felix Tshisekedi, the president of the Congo, requested in September that the peacekeepers’ withdrawal be expedited, and the UN Security Council granted his request, allowing the deployment to terminate in December.

Continue Reading

Musings From Abroad

US keen on expanding bilateral trade with Nigeria

Published

on

According to the US Consulate in Nigeria, it is looking for ways to guarantee prosperity for Nigeria by increasing bilateral trade and investment.

 

The Consulate, in a statement, maintained it was looking for ways to develop bilateral investment and trade as well as guarantee prosperity between the US and Nigeria.

 

Mike Ervin, the chief of the Political and Economic Section of the US Consulate in Lagos made this statement on Wednesday during a working visit to the governor of Abia State, Alex Otti, on Wednesday,

 

He noted that the consulate covers the 17 southern states of Nigeria; hence its mission “to expand bilateral trade and investment and ensure prosperity between the United States and Nigeria”.

 

“In the US consulate in Lagos, we cover the 17 southern states and our top job more than any other is to seek ways to expand bilateral trade and investment and expand shared prosperity between our people.

 

“Our people share a long history of partnership and that was highlighted by the visit of our Secretary of State, Anthony Blinkin, in Nigeria a couple of weeks ago, where he spoke eloquently and strongly on the significance and importance of US-Nigeria bilateral relationship. And our desire is to seek ways of expanding that relationship to build prosperity for our people,” he stated.

 

The petroleum/mining and wholesale trade industries account for the majority of foreign direct investment from the United States, which is the country that invests in Nigeria the most. The value of goods traded both ways in 2022 between the US and Nigeria exceeded $8.1 billion.

Continue Reading

EDITOR’S PICK

Culture10 hours ago

Ugandan TikToker remanded in prison for insulting President Museveni, traditional ruler

Popular Ugandan TikToker, Ibrahim Musana, also known as “Pressure 247”, has been remanded in prison for allegedly insulting President Yoweri...

Tech10 hours ago

Uganda’s Diamond Trust Bank partners TerraPay for ease of global money transfers

Leading Ugandan bank, Diamond Trust Bank Uganda (DTBU), has entered into a partnership with global cross-border payments network company, TerraPay,...

Sports10 hours ago

Kenyan President Ruto promises Kiptum’s widow new house, job, Ksh.5m cash

Kenya’s President, William Ruto, has promised that the State will build a new and befitting house for the family of...

VenturesNow13 hours ago

Nigeria’s central bank bans govts, banks, others from owning Bureaus de Change amid FX crisis

Governments, commercial banks, merchant banks, other financial institutions (OFIs) and public officials are among the groups that the Central Bank...

VenturesNow13 hours ago

IMF sees progress on the Egypt credit programme despite Gaza’s pressure

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has reported that talks to expand Egypt’s loan programme are going well. The IMF stated...

Metro13 hours ago

Zambia: Govt restates commitment to policies that will unite citizens

Zambia’s government has restated its commitment to implementing policies that will further unite the citizens. This assurance was given by...

Metro14 hours ago

‘Nigerian govt will go after economic saboteurs,’ Information Minister vows

The Nigerian government says it will go after saboteurs of the country’s economy in the face of challenges which have...

Sports1 day ago

World Athletics President believes late Kiptum would have broken 2-hour marathon mark

World Athletics President, Lord Sebastian Coe, believes late Kenyan world marathon record holder, Kelvin Kiptum, would have become the first...

Tech1 day ago

South African mobile operators announce new services to combat fraud

South African mobile operators have unveiled new Application Programme Interfaces (APIs) services that will help checkmate and combat internet fraud...

Culture1 day ago

Kenyan teacher sets new world record for longest science class

A Kenyan science teacher, Rose Tata Wekesa, has broken the Guinness World Record for conducting the longest science class, clocking...

Trending