Connect with us

Politics

Thousands protest in Tunis over President Saied’s raid on government institutions

Published

on

Opposition protesters have hit the streets in Tunis, capital city of Tunisia on Sunday in demonstration against President Kais Saied’s power grab and the economic crisis in the North African country.

Report says at least 2,000 people gathered in the city centre chanting – Poverty has increased”, and “Famine is at our doorsteps”

Protesters held up signs in English and French, reading “Tunisia wake up” and “Tunisian state is on the verge of collapse”.

Recall that slamreportafrica.com reported last Tuesday that “President Kais Saied has continued his “revolution” of government institutions in the North African country as he inaugurated a “temporary” council of judges to replace an independent watchdog that he abolished in early February.

Saied last July sacked the government, suspended parliament and moved to rule by decree, sparking fears for democracy in the birthplace of the 2011 Arab uprisings.

The latest demonstration was called by the Free Destourian Party which is led by staunchly anti-Islamist lawyer Abir Moussi.

“The government today is incapable of finding solutions for the Tunisian people… If we continue in silence, we will lose the country,” Moussi said in a speech during the demonstration.

She branded Tunisia’s current executive as “illegitimate” and called for legislative elections to be brought forward from their scheduled date of December.

Bearing a portrait of Moussi, protester Youssef Jabali told newsmen “Saied, the dictator, is shut off in his palace and the people can’t find semolina, flour, oil or sugar.”

Already plunged in an economic crisis, Tunisia has in recent weeks seen a shortage of staple foods, as the war in Ukraine threatens to interrupt key supplies to various Arab countries.

The authorities have attributed the shortages to panic buying ahead of the holy month of Ramadan, starting this year in April, when Muslims traditionally break a dawn-to-dusk fast with lavish family meals.

Saied on Wednesday declared a “relentless war” on food speculators and profiteers, accusing them of seeking to “strike at social peace and security”.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Politics

Mali’s junta sets date for presidential elections. Will that stop ECOWAS sanction?

Published

on

The military junta in Mali has adopted an electoral calendar with a presidential election set for February 2024.

The transition plan was announced three days before a summit of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), which is due to consider the tough sanctions imposed on the junta in January.

The spokesman to the government, Colonel Abdoulaye Maiga, who is also Minister of Territorial Administration, on state television on Thursday said “our authorities are further paving the way for a return to constitutional order in Mali, the scene of two coups d’état led by the same group of colonels in August 2020 and May 2021.”

“The government finds this timetable (electoral and referendum) realistic, he added.

According to official documents sent to the media, the junta also set a date for referendum on the new constitution for March 2023.

The calendar also revealed that legislative elections are to be held between October and November 2023, and local elections in June 2023.

In June, Mali’s military junta led by Colonel Assimi Goita created a body charged with responsibility for writing a new Constitution. The government had through a decree read on state television said that Bamako will be returned to civil rule after twenty months.

Regional bloc, ECOWAS in reaction to the 24 months transition plan, says it regrets the decision of Colonel Goita to extend the duration of the transition.

Recall that earlier in the week the junta announced new electoral law which permits Colonel Goita and other military service men to contest for the projected 2024 elections.

The move puts Mali in the eye of observers again as it suggests Goita is getting ready to join the undemocratic train of previous African leaders like Jerry Rawlings in Ghana, Omar al-Bashir in Sudan, Gnassingbé Eyadéma in Togo, Mobutu Sese Seko in Zaire who succeeded themselves in a military to civil transition.

Continue Reading

Politics

2023: Nigeria’s ruling party presidential candidates, Tinubu, Masari, can’t find certificates. What we know so far

Published

on

Kabiru Masari, the running mate to Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Nigerian presidential candidate of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, in the coming 2023 general elections, has declared that his school certificates and other vital documents including the certificate to landed properties, are missing.

Masari’s declaration of missing certificates, is coming barely a week after his principal, Tinubu, also declared that he could not explain the whereabouts of his primary and secondary schools certificates after soldiers invaded his house while he was in self-exile during the fight against military regime in Nigeria shortly after the June 12, 1993, presidential election, which was annulled by the General Ibrahim Babangida-led military regime.

While explaining how he lost his certificates, Tinubu had said the documents were among his personal effect destroyed when his property at the Balarabe Musa Crescent in Victoria Island, Lagos, was set ablaze by agents of former Head of State, late General Sani Abacha, in 1997.

Tinubu’s Form EC9, which was published on Friday by the electoral body, the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, revealed that the former Lagos State governor did not fill the columns for his primary and secondary school education, which generated a lot of controversies, leading to some opposition political parties and civil society groups threatening court actions.

But while Nigerians were still grappling with the idea of a presidential candidate without the basic primary and secondary school certifications, Masari, who was named as a ‘placeholder’, effectively meaning he is a temporary vice presidential candidate while the party looks for a suitable replacement, also announced that he is in the same boat as Tinubu.

In a sworn affidavit he deposed to on July 17, 2021, and submitted to the INEC, Masari claimed that the Grade II certificate he allegedly obtained from the Katsina State Teachers’ College and his primary school certificate were missing.

He also said told the electoral umpire that the Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) for a plot of land in Katsina State were also missing.

“Sometimes in January 2021, while on transit within Wuse Area, FCT-Abuja, I discovered that my original Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) of Plot, No KT 17522, GRA Katsina, Katsina State; Certificate of Kaduna State Development Centre from 1994 – 1995 were missing,” the affidavit reads.

“Also missing were Grade II Certificate from Katsina Teachers’ College (KTC) from 1978 –1983 and First Leaving School Certificate issued by Masari Primary School in Katsina State from 1972 – 1978.

“Efforts made to trace the documents proved abortive hence this affidavit,” he added in the sworn affidavit.

Continue Reading

EDITOR’S PICK

Politics3 hours ago

Mali’s junta sets date for presidential elections. Will that stop ECOWAS sanction?

The military junta in Mali has adopted an electoral calendar with a presidential election set for February 2024. The transition plan was announced three days before...

Metro20 hours ago

Sudanese Janjaweed mercenaries fighting for Libyan warlord agree to withdraw, return home

Seven Sudanese mercenaries who were members of the Janjaweed rebel forces fighting for Libyan warlord, Khalifa Haftar, have agreed to...

Metro20 hours ago

Egyptian court sentences 10 Muslim Brotherhood members to death on terrorism charges

Ten members of the Muslim Brotherhood have been sentenced to death by an Egyptian court on Wednesday while 56 others...

Metro20 hours ago

Morocco/Spain deaths: African migrants deserve same treatment as Ukraine refugees – Kenya

Kenya has condemned the treatment of migrants in the deadly accident that killed and injured dozens last week in Melilla, at the...

Metro22 hours ago

African Union calls for caution as Sudan-Ethiopian border clash escalates

The African Union has called for caution and restraint as clashes between Ethiopia and Sudan in the disputed al-Fashaqa border...

Metro22 hours ago

Three South African ‘Boko Haram’ gang members bag 384 years jail term for two-months crime spree

Three members of a South African criminal gang which identifies itself as “Boko Haram,” have been sentenced to a combined...

Tech22 hours ago

Kenyan music streaming platform, Mdundo, reports 290% user growth since 2020 IPO

Foremost Kenyan music streaming platform, Mdundo, says it has recorded a whopping 290 percent user growth which has taken it...

Tech22 hours ago

Nigerian fintech, Moove, secures $20 million credit from British International Investment

Nigerian mobility fintech startup, Moove has made significant moves with its capital as it has secured a $20 million four-year structured credit....

Metro23 hours ago

UN warns of threats to civilians following resurgence of ‘deadlier, well-armed’ M23 rebels in DRC

The United Nations has warned of threats to the civilian population in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) following the...

Metro1 day ago

5 killed as protesters hit street despite heavy security in Sudan

At least five protesters were shot dead in Sudan as protesters hit the street despite heavy security on Wednesday. Witnesses...

Trending