Connect with us

Musings From Abroad

Nigerian man awaiting sentencing in trafficking, fraud case, found dead in London jail

Published

on

The late Israel Olugosi and wife, Holly

A 38-year-old Nigerian, Israel Olugosi, who was serving time in a London jail awaiting sentencing, was on Monday, found dead inside his cell.

The deceased was convicted in May last year for trafficking dozens of vulnerable teenage girls around the UK in a large-scale shop fraud scam.

A Prison Service spokesperson who announced the death of Olugosi, said he was found by prison staff when they opened his cell on D-wing at 8.45am, and was pronounced dead at 9am.

At his arraignment at the Snaresbrook Crown Court in north-east London, Olugosi had admitted to charges of “conspiring to arrange or facilitate the travel of children for exploitation.”

The police say Olugosi was the ringleader of an organized crime syndicate alongside his British wife, Holly, that defrauded over 100 stores and exploited over 30 teenage victims before their operation was discovered and shut down.

“Isaiah Olugosi recruited, coached and transported girls aged between 14vand 17 around the country to commit refund fraud in high street stores.

“The gang had team leaders who would trick or coerce the vulnerable girls into joining their criminal gang; Olugosi and his team would drive them across the UK, using pre-planned routes to target branches of each store.

“They printed out and put fake barcodes on items to pay a cheaper price before later returning for a full price refund, meaning a phone bought for £20 could get a £120 refund.

“The money made from the scam was used to fund Olugosi and Holly’s expensive lifestyle, with huge sums spent on cosmetic surgery, tanning sessions, a new Mercedes, luxury holidays and even a fridge they bought for £2,500.

“On a typical day for Olugosi’s gang, they would defraud over 10 stores, making thousands of pounds per route for the gang,” the Metropolitan Police said.

Musings From Abroad

Despite heavy security presence, Libyan protesters step up campaign, vow to continue demonstrations

Published

on

Libyan protesters have vowed to step up its campaign and continue with their demonstrations until all the ruling elites quit power and pave way for elections.

The protests which began on Friday, saw the burning of the country’s parliament building in Tobruk when a large crowd broke through the security and set the building on fire.

The incident prompted the government to release thousands of security personnel into the streets but the demonstrators were not deterred as they defied the presence of the forces on Saturday and Sunday by holding rallies in Tripoli, Tobruk, and Benghazi, and other major cities in the North African country.

While addressing the protesters, leaders of the movement said they would step up its campaign from Sunday, urging demonstrators to set up tents in city squares and practise civil disobedience until they achieve their goal of ousting political institutions and holding new elections.

Libyan Observer reports that the protesters held their biggest rally in Tripoli for years, chanting slogans against the feuding political elites, as demonstrators blocked off roads in Benghazi and Misrata and set fire to government buildings in Sebha and Qarabuli.

The media also reported that despite pleas by United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres, the demonstrators are bent on going on with their daily protests until they force the ruling elites out.

Continue Reading

Musings From Abroad

US commends Kenya’s effort at resolving Rwanda/Congo tension

Published

on

The US has praised Kenya’s President, Uhuru Kenyatta for his effort at resolving tensions between East African neighbour, DR Congo and Rwanda.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken spoke with President Kenyatta in a phone call on Thursday describes Kenya’s move as the best approach to end armed conflict in the troubled east of the country.

The US State Department Spokesman Ned Price said of the phone call, that “Secretary Blinken expressed his appreciation for the Nairobi process, which has brought together the leadership of the DR Congo, Rwanda, Uganda, Burundi, South Sudan and Tanzania.

“The Secretary noted these heads of state meetings are instrumental for facilitating the de-escalation of regional tensions, and in particular between the DR Congo and Rwanda.”

The acrimony between the countries was pronounced last month when Rwandan military authorities accused the armed forces of neighboring Democratic Republic of Congo of cross-border attacks.

Kenyan President, Uhuru Kenyatta, last week called on the East African regional bloc to deploy East African force to the troubled eastern Democratic Republic of Congo to restore security following renewed fighting between government forces and the M23 rebels which has seen thousands killed and displaced since the resumption of hostilities.

Although the move to deploy the forces has been commended by the US, United Nations and the African Union, Congolese politicians and the public have expressed reservations about the proposed deployment of peace troops. They said the East Africa Standby Force (EASF) would be duplicating roles of the UN Mission (Monusco) as well as other existing interventions currently on the ground.

Continue Reading

EDITOR’S PICK

Metro5 hours ago

Terrorists attack Nigerian Correctional Service Centre, release dangerous criminals

A premium Correctional Service Center, the Kuje Medium Prison, in Nigeria’s capital of Abuja, came under severe attack by heavily...

Metro6 hours ago

Terrorists attack President Buhari’s convoy in Salah home coming. Who is safe?

The presidency in Nigeria has confirmed that bandit attacked the presidential convoy of President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday. Presidential Spokesman,...

Metro18 hours ago

Sudanese security forces descend on anti-coup protesters after military leader, al-Burhan’s promise

Eleven anti-coup protesters were seriously wounded when Sudanese security forces descended on a sit-in protest to disperse demonstrators in the...

Politics18 hours ago

Rwandan President, Paul Kagame, accuses DRC of supporting rebels fighting his government

President Paul Kagame of Rwanda has accused the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), of giving arms and logistic support to...

VenturesNow18 hours ago

Zimbabwe continues battle to save currency, introduces gold coins as legal tender. Will that work?

South African country, Zimbabwe has continued its battle at fighting inflation as its central bank will start issuing gold coins...

Metro19 hours ago

Explosion kills 2 United Nations peacekeepers in Mali

The explosion of an improvised device has killed at least two United Nations peacekeepers and five severely wounded in northern...

Metro22 hours ago

Rare humanitarian window by Ethiopia allows aid into war-ravaged Tigray region

A rare humanitarian window created by Ethiopia has allowed aid to flow into the embattled Northern Ethiopian region of Tigray...

Politics1 day ago

Tunisia President Saied dares opposition, defends new constitution despite criticism

Tunisia’s President Kais Saied has defended his proposed new constitution despite widespread criticism and protest by opposition figures, saying the...

Politics1 day ago

Sudan’s junta leader, General al-Burhan, promises to withdraw army from civilian government

Leader of Sudan’s military junta, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, has promised he will withdraw the army from further participating in...

Metro1 day ago

Nearly €20 million in contention as Chad arrests top oil sector, banking officials

An investigation into embezzlement at the national oil company in Chad has led to the arrest of a group of...

Trending