Malian envoy arrives Mauritania over alleged ‘criminal act’ on Mauritanians at borders
A Malian delegation has arrived at the Mauritanian capital Nouakchott, amid tensions over the disappearance of Mauritanian civilians in a border area.
Malian envoys met Mauritanian authorities on Friday to curb rising tensions.
Slamreportafrica.com reported on Tuesday that the foreign ministry of Mauritanian had accused Mali’s army of crimes against Mauritanians after protesters in the capital charged they had been killed “in cold blood”.
The ministry then summoned the Malian ambassador to protest the recurring acts.
Consequently, Malian Foreign Minister Abdoulaye Diop led a delegation who arrived in Nouakchott to address the issue.
At the end of the discussions the minister said both parties agreed to “set up a joint ad hoc fact-finding mission to shed light on the latest events in El Ataye (El Ghattaye), and to punish the perpetrators of these heinous crimes as severely as Malian law allows.”
“Unverified voice recordings circulating on social media were attributed to alleged witnesses who blamed the Malian army for the disappearance of Mauritanians”
On Wednesday, Abdulaye Maiga, the Malian spokesman, confirmed the “murders” had occurred and said Mali had opened an inquiry. Questions were raised after a previous incident in January, led to the death of 7 Mauritanians in the same area.
Mauritania shares a 2,000-kilometre (1,200-mile) border with Mali, where the junta seized power in 2020.
South Africa: Opposition, DA want findings on alleged arms supply to Russia public
South African opposition party, the Democratic Alliance has vowed to challenge the decision by the presidency to keep from the public, findings from recent arm supply allegations.
The follows allegations by United States Ambassador, Reuben Brigety that South Africa provided ammunition to Russia by ship. Brigety said the US was sure that contrary to its public claim of being non-aligned in the Russia/Ukraine crisis, South Africa supplied arms to Vladimir Putin’s army in December.
Following the allegation, President Ramaphosa launched an investigation to be conducted by an independent body which will be led by retired Deputy Justice Phineas Mojapelo, advocate Leah Gcabashe, and former justice minister Enver Surty. Meanwhile, his spokesperson, Vincent Magwenya said the government would withhold the panel’s findings.
Magwenya said the terms of reference for the inquiry would not be gazetted or published.
“The investigation covers issues of national security and classified information, which is protected from disclosure,” he said.
“This inquiry has been instituted in a similar manner to the inquiry that investigated the July 2021 riots in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng and the value of its report remains unchallenged.
“The panel will be supported in gathering the information that is necessary to fulfil its mandate by letters from the president instructing all relevant government entities as identified by the panel to cooperate fully with the panel or face disciplinary sanction,” he said.
“The work of the panel will not be public, nor will its report be made public. The president will speak to any actions that may result with respect to national security. This is provided for within our secrecy laws as per the nature of this matter,” he added.
In a statement, the DA said it would not ” leave this secrecy unchallenged. We have already submitted an application under the Promotion of Access to Information Act to obtain a copy of the panel’s terms of reference. And we are obtaining legal advice to challenge Ramaphosa’s plan to hide the report once it is complete.”
The party leader, John Steenhuisen argued that keeping the report private “undermines the ability of prosecutors and the public to hold guilty parties accountable for any such violations of the law”.
“Hiding this report from public view will rob the people of South Africa – and of the world – of the opportunity to see the full facts of this matter.
“Refusing to disclose the complete picture of how the ANC-led government allegedly smuggled weapons to arm Russia’s war in Ukraine and various parts of Africa will also undermine the very purpose of the investigation.”
Zimbabwe’s electoral commission, ZEC promises to publicise voters’ register
The electoral commission in Zimbabwe said it would soon publish the voters’ register for the forthcoming general elections.
The Zimbabwe Electoral Commission (ZEC) also assured the public of a fair election and promised to rectify anomalies that were observed during the voters’ inspection exercise.
The head of ZEC, Utloile Silaigwana made the position known when he announced the end of the mop-up voter registration exercise on Friday.
Silaigwana further revealed that the Nomination court would sit on 21 June and thereafter the voters’ roll would be accessible to candidates.
There are contentions about the neutrality of the electoral commission. In March, a member of the opposition party, the Citizens Coalition for Change (CCC), Allan Markham filed a court application challenging ZEC for access to the electronic voters’ roll but had his request rejected because “it was too risky” and in the interest of data protection.
Meanwhile, the ruling party, Zanu PF sent text messages to registered voters during the period urging them to vote for President Emmerson Mnangagwa. This move further fuelled the allegation that Zanu PF had access to the voters’ roll which is why it was able to send the messages.
President Mnangagwa is running for re-election to a second term after coming to power following a military coup that dislodged Robert Mugabe as Zimbabwe’s president in 2017.
The country is struggling with deep poverty, recurring power outages, and crippling unemployment, all of which have fuelled widespread resentment.
The President of Zimbabwe is elected using a two-round system. The Zimbabwean legislature is made up of 270 members of the National Assembly, 210 members elected in single-member constituencies, and 60 women elected by proportional representation in ten six-seat constituencies based on the country’s provinces.
Kenya: Parliament approves appointment of Kamau Thugge as central bank governor
Months after throwing open the position for the country’s top banker, Kenya’s parliament has approved the appointment of Kamau Thugge...
Ghana presents ‘working proposal’ for debt restructuring— IMF sources
West African country, Ghana has made a major move at resolving its debt crisis as the country has presented debt...
Rwandan President, Kagame sacks over 200 military personnel in major shake-up
Rwandan President, Paul Kagame has sacked over 200 soldiers including top military brass and commanders from the Rwanda Defence Force...
Flutterwave partners Token.io to provide seamless bank transfer to users in UK, EU
Pan-Africa’s payments technology company, Flutterwave has entered into a partnership with Europe’s account-to-account (A2A) payment infrastructure provider, Token.io to power...
Kenyan govt to convert ‘evil cult’ forest into a memorial site
The Kenyan government says it plans to convert the Shakahola Forest, where bodies of over 250 members of a Christian...
UN war crimes court declares Rwandan genocide suspect, Felicien Kabuga unfit to stand trial
An 88-year-old Rwandan genocide suspect, Felicien Kabuga has been declared unfit to stand trial by judges at a United Nations...
FIFA honours Osimhen after amazing season with Napoli
Following his record-breaking season with Napoli where he scored 26 goals to win the Serie A top scorer award, Nigerian...
Despite revenue crisis, World Bank projects faster growth for Kenya
The World Bank on Wednesday said progress in the agricultural sector would likely lead to Kenya’s economic growth at a...
Angola, Portugal sign 13-point pact spanning finance, law, others
Angola and Portugal have signed a Memorandum of Understanding including 13 different agreements that cut across financial, legal and other...
Congo DR, Angola advance talks over decades-long oil block dispute
Discussions are on to end a decades-long dispute between the Democratic Republic of Congo and Angola over an off-shore oil...
Strictly Personal1 day ago
In defence of fuel subsidy in Nigeria, By Chidi Chinedu
Tech1 day ago
Samsung Electronics launches e-waste program in Kenya
Metro1 day ago
No end in sight as Sudan’s warring factions refuse to back down
Metro1 day ago
Kenyan protesters clash with police during demonstration against tax hike