Connect with us

Metro

Latest al-Shabab killings stir demand for withdrawal of Kenyan troops from Somalia

Published

on

Latest attacks of deadly terrorist group, al-Shabab on Kenyan soldiers in Kilgoris, south-western Kenya has stirred the demands of withdrawal of Kenya troops from Somalia by Kenyans.

The attack, which killed 35 year-old Kenyan soldier, Mr. Johnson ole Kiyaipi, and nine of his associates have left families of the deceased frustrated as there has been no official statement on the attack.

“How many other young men are we going to lose before our boys are brought back home? How many more families should bear the pain of this war fought in distant lands?” asked Johnson’s elder brother, Dr Joel ole Kiyiapi.

“If our boys should die, they should die protecting our country within our borders.”

In January, the U.S. military says its troop withdrawal from Somalia is complete, in one of the last actions of President Donald Trump’s presidency.

Report from Kenya says “family members of soldiers are angry about the government’s silence when Kenyan troops die in action. They say the blackout and lack of public honouring is disrespectful. The authorities have not explained why they keep quiet about military deaths.”

Wife of one of the slain soldiers, who could not hold back her tears while her scribbled tribute for the late husband was read out by a friend: “Your children and I will miss you and your lovely smile. Shine on your way my love,” the speech read.

Another relative of the deceased, Prof.  Kiyaipi said he was surprised there was no debate amongst lawmakers or the public about the goal of Kenyan forces in Somalia.

“We need to rethink our strategy and have a clear end-date for our troops there. It cannot be an indefinite mission and we sure can’t afford to keep losing our young men in this war,” he told newsmen.

“Every fallen soldier is a father, a son, a daughter. The president needs to publicly acknowledge our heroes,” he continued.

“We are the taxpayers and the government has a responsibility of being open,” he said.

Kenyan troops have suffered many attacks from the deadly al-Shabab. In 2021, a massive bomb attack in Lamu County near the Somali border targeting a Kenyan military convoy killed fifteen soldiers. There have been several other attacks that have left hundreds of soldiers dead with al-Shabab claiming responsibility.

Kenya Defence Forces entered southern Somalia 2011 years ago under a special operation called The Operation Linda Nchi . The Kenyan government declared the operation completed in March 2012, but its forces then joined AMISOM in Somalia with Kenya forces still on ground.

Metro

Zambia: Apex Court sets July 8 to rule on Lungu’s eligibility for elections

Published

on

Zambia’s apex court, the Constitutional Court, has reserved ruling on a petition challenging the eligibility of former President Edgar Lungu to stand for future elections to July 8 following a request by the government not to dismiss the case as demanded by his lawyers.

The State which was represented by Attorney-General, Mulilo Kabesha, Solicitor-General, Marshal Muchende, and other advocates, had argued that the petition filed by a Lusaka resident, Michelo Chizombe, had not been finalised, contrary to Lungu’s claims.

During the hearing of the case on Friday, the State also sought a review of an earlier decision declaring Lungu eligible, contending that the matter was neither finalised nor time-barred and therefore, the petition should be heard on its merits.

Lungu’s legal team led by Makebi Zulu and Jonas Zimba, who had requested for the case to be dismissed, questioned the motive behind the repeated petitions, urging the court to end what they described as an abuse of process.

They further argued that Lungu should not be repeatedly summoned to court over the same eligibility issue, noting the recent summon marked the fifth time the issue had been brought before the court.

“A judicial decision must be accepted as correct. They have refused to accept your decision, meaning they had recourse to the decision and simply do not agree with you. If this is allowed, there will be no end to litigation,” Makebi told the court.

However, Chizombe’s counsel, Michael Moono, who countered Lungu’s lawyers, contended that the issue could not be “res judicata” as the petitioner was not a party to the four previous petitions.

Continue Reading

Metro

Despite hardship, Nigerian lawmakers push for new jets for Tinubu, Shettima

Published

on

Despite the hardship and pervasive hunger Nigerians are going through occasioned by the drastic economic policies of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration, members of the National Assembly are pushing to purchase new presidential jets for the President and Vice President.

The recommendations for the purchase of the new jets, according to reports, were made by the Committee on National Security and Intelligence in the House of Representatives and is expected to get the nod of the Presidency for the purchase of the planes to sail through.

An exclusive report carried out by a reputable media outfit during the week had revealed that the committee made the proposition in a report issued after its technical subcommittee conducted a hearing on the status and airworthiness of aircraft in the Presidential Air Fleet (PAF).

The committee report which was signed by its chairperson, Ahmed Satomi, and the clerk, Makwe Eric, showed that it had already been forwarded to the presidency for action.

“The Committee is of the strong and informed opinion that considering the fragile structure of the Nigerian federation and recognising the dire consequences of any foreseen or unforeseen mishap that may arise as a result of technical/operational inadequacy of the Presidential Air Fleet, it is in the best interest of the country to procure two additional aircraft as recommended,” the report read in part.

Further investigations reveal that plans to buy new aircrafts for the president and vice president began as early as February this year despite the hues and cries from Nigerians due to the pains and agony they have been subjected to since the present administration came into power in 2023.

The investigation also revealed that the federal government was tired of spending humongous amount of money in maintaining the aircraft in the fleet as the maintenance of the presidential fleet between the routine maintenance and purchase of parts, the aircraft had been guzzling huge amounts of money.

It was gathered that Tinubu had put a hold on the move due to anticipated backlash that would follow any move to buy new aircrafts for the presidential fleet considering the economic downturn in the country, as millions of citizens battle every day to feed owing to impacts of some of the reforms of the current administration.

However, while justifying their call for new aircraft for Tinubu and Shettima, members of the House of Representatives Committee on National Security and Intelligence said their recommendation was based on available facts.

“This will also prove to be most cost-efficient in the long run apart from the added advantage of providing a suitable, comfortable and safe carrier befitting of the status and responsibilities of the office of the president and vice president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,” the committee said.

The panel said a new aircraft befitting the office of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria should be procured, taking into consideration the country’s leading role in the West African, African, and global scheme of affairs.

“That for ease of administration and in order to guarantee a secure and dedicated main and backup fleet for the office of the president at all times, it is recommended that a new aircraft akin to Air Force Two of the USA be procured for the office of the vice president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,” the subcommittee added.

“This can also serve the office of the presiding officers of the National Assembly, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, etc., as appropriate.”

Continue Reading

EDITOR’S PICK

Culture7 hours ago

UK returns looted historic Ugandan artifacts on a three-year loan

The University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom has agreed to return 39 traditional Ugandan artefacts which were looted from...

Metro11 hours ago

Zambia: Apex Court sets July 8 to rule on Lungu’s eligibility for elections

Zambia’s apex court, the Constitutional Court, has reserved ruling on a petition challenging the eligibility of former President Edgar Lungu...

Tech13 hours ago

Egyptian startup Potcast Productions raises funding to upscale offerings

Potcast Production, an Egypt-based innovative company that specializes in podcast production, has announced securing an an undisclosed pre-seed funding round...

Sports13 hours ago

Lost to Europe: Players of African descent who will light up Euro 2024

Europe’s elite football tournament tagged Euro 2024, which kicked off on Friday, will see close to 50 players of African...

Musings From Abroad15 hours ago

AfDB, IDB on $20bn IMF reserve asset donor drive

In line with a global initiative to increase the efforts of leading multilateral development banks (MDBs) to address poverty and...

Politics15 hours ago

South Africa: Parliament reelects Cyril Ramaphosa as president

President Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa has been re-elected for a second term. He was nominated for re-election on Friday...

Politics16 hours ago

Niamey court revokes immunity of overthrown Nigerien president

The State Court of Niamey has revoked the immunity of Niger’s deposed President, Mohamed Bazoum, signalling the start of criminal...

VenturesNow16 hours ago

Nigerian court voids tax evasion charges against executives of Binance

A Nigerian court dismissed tax evasion charges against two executives of Binance on Friday, following the appointment of a local...

VenturesNow16 hours ago

Ghana’s bondholders, govt to discuss debt restructuring next week

Following a deal struck with official creditors earlier this week, Ghana and its bondholders will resume negotiations next week to...

Metro17 hours ago

Despite hardship, Nigerian lawmakers push for new jets for Tinubu, Shettima

Despite the hardship and pervasive hunger Nigerians are going through occasioned by the drastic economic policies of the President Bola...

Trending