‘Heads of States’ meet in Ghana after UEMOA court suspends ECOWAS sanctions on Mali
After the court of the West African Economic and Monetary Union- UEMOA suspended regional bloc – ECOWAS 3-months old sanctions on Mali Thursday, leaders of the Economic Community of West Africa African States (ECOWAS) met on Friday for a summit over Mali’s political crisis.
The summit was held in Ghana’s capital city, Accra. In attendance were members of the “Heads of States” of ECOWAS. Malian Foreign Minister Aboudlaye Diop confirmed the meeting on Friday.
Also in discussions were the situation in Guinea and Burkina Faso, where coups have also taken place recently.
On Thursday, the court of the West African Economic and Monetary The court of the West African Economic and Monetary Union (UEMOA) on Thursday ordered a suspension of the eight-nation body’s sanctions against Mali, imposed in January after the junta delayed elections.
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) disagreed with the military junta of Colonel Goïta in Mali over the duration of the transition into civil government and a date for elections. The regional bloc mediator and former president of Nigeria (2010-2015) Goodluck Jonathan was in Bamako last week with delegates in a bid to broker an earlier transition period but left without reaching a compromising stand with the military government.
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) ramped up sanctions on Mali after Goïta took over the government in August 2020. The regional body also activated its standby military force following the failure of transitional authorities in the country to organise elections.
The government of Mali, which has been under West African sanctions since January, says it has submitted a timetable for “elections with a 36-month (three-year) deadline for the transition,” but “this proposal was not accepted by the West African mediator,” according to a statement issued Sunday evening after Jonathan’s departure.
Algeria, Sierra Leone get non-permanent seat at UN Security Council
Algeria and Sierra Leone, have been elected as non-permanent members of the the United Nations’ Security Council for 2024-2025.
The two countries are part of the ten countries elected for two years in the Council outside the five power bloc countries— the United States, China, Russia, France and the United Kingdom.
The countries replace Albania, Brazil, Gabon, Ghana and the United Arab Emirates and will join Ecuador, Japan, Malta, Mozambique and Switzerland who were elected last year.
For Sierra Leone, it’s a return to the council after 53 years. Its Foreign Minister, David Francis said it was “a great day for this small, progressive and confident country…which has successfully transitioned from war to peace.”
Guyana and South Korea were also elected unchallenged while Slovenia handily beat Belarus for the only contested seat.
An official of rights agency, Human Rights Watch, Louis Charbonneau remarked that “the vote in the General Assembly shows why a competition for UN elections is essential” after Slovenia edged Belarus for the seat going to Eastern Europe and obtained 153 votes, against 38 in Belarus.
“UN member states have undoubtedly decided that Belarus’ grave human rights violations at home and attempts to cover up Russian atrocities in Ukraine disqualify it from serving on the Security Council, a crucial body for ensuring human rights. humans,” he added.
Algeria got 184 votes, South Korea 180 votes, Sierra Leone 188 votes and Guyana 191 in a single candidate votes for four seat reserved for Africa, Asia-Pacific and Latin America/Caribbean.
There has been a long debate about the place of Africa in international relations. At the inception of the United Nations, only four independent African countries represented the continent when 50 representatives of different countries met in San Francisco, California, in 1945 to complete the Charter of the United Nations.
South Africa: Opposition, DA want findings on alleged arms supply to Russia public
South African opposition party, the Democratic Alliance has vowed to challenge the decision by the presidency to keep from the public, findings from recent arm supply allegations.
The follows allegations by United States Ambassador, Reuben Brigety that South Africa provided ammunition to Russia by ship. Brigety said the US was sure that contrary to its public claim of being non-aligned in the Russia/Ukraine crisis, South Africa supplied arms to Vladimir Putin’s army in December.
Following the allegation, President Ramaphosa launched an investigation to be conducted by an independent body which will be led by retired Deputy Justice Phineas Mojapelo, advocate Leah Gcabashe, and former justice minister Enver Surty. Meanwhile, his spokesperson, Vincent Magwenya said the government would withhold the panel’s findings.
Magwenya said the terms of reference for the inquiry would not be gazetted or published.
“The investigation covers issues of national security and classified information, which is protected from disclosure,” he said.
“This inquiry has been instituted in a similar manner to the inquiry that investigated the July 2021 riots in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng and the value of its report remains unchallenged.
“The panel will be supported in gathering the information that is necessary to fulfil its mandate by letters from the president instructing all relevant government entities as identified by the panel to cooperate fully with the panel or face disciplinary sanction,” he said.
“The work of the panel will not be public, nor will its report be made public. The president will speak to any actions that may result with respect to national security. This is provided for within our secrecy laws as per the nature of this matter,” he added.
In a statement, the DA said it would not ” leave this secrecy unchallenged. We have already submitted an application under the Promotion of Access to Information Act to obtain a copy of the panel’s terms of reference. And we are obtaining legal advice to challenge Ramaphosa’s plan to hide the report once it is complete.”
The party leader, John Steenhuisen argued that keeping the report private “undermines the ability of prosecutors and the public to hold guilty parties accountable for any such violations of the law”.
“Hiding this report from public view will rob the people of South Africa – and of the world – of the opportunity to see the full facts of this matter.
“Refusing to disclose the complete picture of how the ANC-led government allegedly smuggled weapons to arm Russia’s war in Ukraine and various parts of Africa will also undermine the very purpose of the investigation.”
Kenya: Parliament approves appointment of Kamau Thugge as central bank governor
Months after throwing open the position for the country’s top banker, Kenya’s parliament has approved the appointment of Kamau Thugge...
Ghana presents ‘working proposal’ for debt restructuring— IMF sources
West African country, Ghana has made a major move at resolving its debt crisis as the country has presented debt...
Rwandan President, Kagame sacks over 200 military personnel in major shake-up
Rwandan President, Paul Kagame has sacked over 200 soldiers including top military brass and commanders from the Rwanda Defence Force...
Flutterwave partners Token.io to provide seamless bank transfer to users in UK, EU
Pan-Africa’s payments technology company, Flutterwave has entered into a partnership with Europe’s account-to-account (A2A) payment infrastructure provider, Token.io to power...
Kenyan govt to convert ‘evil cult’ forest into a memorial site
The Kenyan government says it plans to convert the Shakahola Forest, where bodies of over 250 members of a Christian...
UN war crimes court declares Rwandan genocide suspect, Felicien Kabuga unfit to stand trial
An 88-year-old Rwandan genocide suspect, Felicien Kabuga has been declared unfit to stand trial by judges at a United Nations...
FIFA honours Osimhen after amazing season with Napoli
Following his record-breaking season with Napoli where he scored 26 goals to win the Serie A top scorer award, Nigerian...
Despite revenue crisis, World Bank projects faster growth for Kenya
The World Bank on Wednesday said progress in the agricultural sector would likely lead to Kenya’s economic growth at a...
Angola, Portugal sign 13-point pact spanning finance, law, others
Angola and Portugal have signed a Memorandum of Understanding including 13 different agreements that cut across financial, legal and other...
Congo DR, Angola advance talks over decades-long oil block dispute
Discussions are on to end a decades-long dispute between the Democratic Republic of Congo and Angola over an off-shore oil...
Strictly Personal2 days ago
In defence of fuel subsidy in Nigeria, By Chidi Chinedu
Tech2 days ago
Samsung Electronics launches e-waste program in Kenya
Metro2 days ago
No end in sight as Sudan’s warring factions refuse to back down
Metro2 days ago
Kenyan protesters clash with police during demonstration against tax hike