A Russian-American billionaire businessman has offered a $1 million bounty for Vladimir Putin’s arrest.
The $1 million bounty was put on the Russian leader over alleged war crimes.
The $1 million bounty – Wanted: Dead or alive – was said to be for operative(s) who can arrest the Russian President.
The businessman, Alex Konanykhin, said he wanted the Russian leader to go on trial.
The California-based businessman triggered headiness and no small controversy when he offered the money on social media, along with a picture of Mr Putin and a caption that read: “Wanted: Dead or alive. Vladimir Putin for mass murder.”
He added: “I promise to pay $1,000,000 to the officer(s) who, complying with their constitutional duty, arrest(s) Putin as a war criminal under Russian and international laws.”
Konanykhin said the county, as much as millions of people, including him, would celebrate the news of his death – but not for his assassination which according to him would be illegal.
Facebook later took down the post, but Konanykhin told The Independent he had not intended his words to encourage someone to go and kill Mr Putin. Rather, he insisted, he wanted the Russian leader to go on trial.
“I’d like to make it explicitly clear that my offer is for an officer, who is fulfilling his constitutional duties, can arrest him for war crimes committed under international laws.
“For years, Putin he could do whatever he wanted to do. Or faced sanctions that were frankly laughable,” he said.
Who is the Russian-American businessman?
Konanykhin, 55, moved to the US in 1992 with his family, a former banker, now heads several technology companies.
His company’s website claims he established Russia’s largest bank by the age of 25.
Reports said Russia accused Konanykhin, 55 of embezzling money, which he had denied and was eventually granted political asylum.
UN investigators concerned over likely ‘future atrocities’ in Ethiopia
United Nations-appointed investigators in Ethiopia Thursday warned about the likelihood of further humanitarian crises in the country.
The UN chief called for continued scrutiny of Addis Ababa’s human rights record as their work faced termination amid strong African-led opposition.
The Ethiopian government and the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) in the northern region Tuesday agreed to a permanent truce to cease hostilities following the conclusion of a peace deal brokered by the African Union in South Africa.
Both sides accused one another of crimes against humanity, such as killings, rapes, and arbitrary detentions, but neither admitted to any systematic wrongdoing.
International Commission of Human Rights Experts on Ethiopia, in a report earlier in the week, said there had been attacks by the Eritrean Defense Forces (EDF) against civilians in Tigray that were “grave and ongoing.”
With the ongoing Human Rights Council meeting in Geneva, its two-year term is up for renewal, but no proposal has been made thus far due to what diplomats describe as considerable resistance, particularly from African members
In light of continued violations in the region, Mohamed Chande Othman, the chair of the Commission, warned the 47-member council that it would be “premature” to conclude its work.
“Failure to do so would not only be an abdication of the Council’s responsibility, it would send a devastating message to the victims and survivors of this conflict,” he said.
He told the Council that “…the situation in Ethiopia exhibits most of the indicators for future atrocities…” and accused Ethiopia of conducting “a deliberate effort to evade regional and international scrutiny”.
Meanwhile, Ethiopia’s ambassador, Tsegab Kebebew stated the commission had “grossly mischaracterized the good and largely acclaimed democratic advances in Ethiopia”.
The Tigray Region is the northernmost regional state of Ethiopia. The region is the homeland of the Tigrayan, Irob, and Kunama people.
Mozambique: UK Supreme Court okays suit against Privinvest in London
A United Kingdom’s Supreme Court has ruled that Mozambique can sue shipbuilder, Privinvest in Britain for alleged bribery connected to the $2 billion “tuna bond” scandal.
The ruling on Wednesday, just weeks after a London High Court ruled that the Mozambican President, Filipe Nyusi, cannot be sued in Britain for bribery in his country’s lawsuit against Credit Suisse and others over the $2 billion “tuna bond” scandal.
Mozambique is bringing a lawsuit against Privinvest, its owner, Iskandar Safa, Credit Suisse, and others for government-guaranteed loans raised in 2013 and 2014, hundreds of millions of dollars of which disappeared.
The scandal’s notoriety began with the borrowing of $2.2 billion by three newly formed firms in 2013 and 2014, the majority of which was done without the legislature’s knowledge or authorization. Mozambique alleges that Privinvest and Safa conspired against it and distributed more than $130 million in bribes to dishonest government officials and Credit Suisse employees.
Despite that,the Mozambican government served as a guarantee for the loans, ensuring that it would return the money in the event of a problem.
The “hidden debt” or tuna bond issue has sparked criminal investigations from Maputo to New York, as well as a string of related litigation in London involving Credit Suisse, shipbuilder Privinvest, its owner Iskandar Safa, and many other parties.
Privinvest has suggested that arbitration be used to resolve any disputes with Mozambique. A setback to Mozambique’s attempts to recover the funds it claims it lost came in 2021 when the Court of Appeal ruled in the company’s favour.
But on Wednesday, the Supreme Court unanimously accepted Mozambique’s appeal against that decision, allowing the republic’s allegations against Privinvest to be heard in a trial that would last for months and begin on October 3.
Nigerian couple makes history with Paralympic qualifications
Nigerian para-table tennis players, Kayode Alabi and Ifechukwude Ikpeoyi, have made history by becoming the first African couple to qualify...
Sudan War: Gen. Al-Burhan says he’s ready for peace talks
Sudan’s Army Chief, Gen. Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan says he is now open for peace talks that could bring the war...
African Development Bank partners Google to transform Africa’s digital space
The African Development Bank (ADB) has teamed up with Google with the aim of advancing digital transformation in Africa. The...
US rappers, Meek Mill, Lil Durk pay tribute to late Nigerian Afropop star, MohBad
American rappers, Meek Mill and Lil Durk have joined the hordes of celebrities worldwide who have paid tributes to late...
As African leaders give excuses, peers reach for the skies, By Tee Ngugi
Many Africans might have missed an event that should have been at the centre of the news. On August 23,...
New $700 million loan approved by World Bank for Nigeria
Amid its recent economic challenges, Nigeria has received approval from multilateral lender, World Bank for a fresh $700m loan to...
Nigeria’s Presidency apologises for UNGA goof
The Nigerian Presidency has apologised over a blunder it made when announcing that President Bola Tinubu was the first African...
Kenya’s Ruto wants global support for Haiti
Kenya’s President William Ruto wants the United Nations Security Council to officially support the mission to the poorest country in...
Sudan: One country, two UNGA addresses, as armed factions stake claim
The ongoing civil war in Sudan played out on the global scene at the United Nations General Assembly as heads...
Congo DR to relocate its Israeli embassy to Jerusalem
Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, on Friday revealed that the Democratic Republic of Congo would move its Israeli embassy to...
Sports1 day ago
Sorry Namibia pounded 96-0 by France in Rugby World Cup
VenturesNow1 day ago
South Korea eyes Nigerian Lithium as global battery demand rises
Politics1 day ago
Congo DR to relocate its Israeli embassy to Jerusalem
Tech1 day ago
Zambian neo-bank, Lupiya raises $8.25m to expand access to financial services