Connect with us

Sports

Saudi club pays N5.3billion to secure Ahmed Musa’s signature

A whopping sum of N5.3billion (£14.8m) is what Saudi club, Al-Nassr, has coughed out to get Nigeria international Ahmed Musa to play for the team

Published

on

A whopping sum of N5.3billion (£14.8m) is what Saudi club, Al-Nassr, has coughed out to get Nigeria international Ahmed Musa to play for the team.

Musa joins Al-Nassr from Premier League side Leicester City. The contract is a four-year deal and could be valued at almost N9billion (£25m) in the near future.

Musa’s move from CSKA Moscow in 2016 to Leicester was a club record £16million but he struggled to justify the huge fee, scoring just twice in 21 Premier League appearances.

Read Also: New coach Aguirre hints at new football philosophy for Egypt

The 25-year old forward then sought a loan return to the Russian side 18 months later.

Al-Nassr announced the deal for the World Cup star on Twitter after many weeks of speculations.

Musa is Al-Nassr’s second big summer acquisition after Morocco international Nordin Amrabat.

Sports

CAF launches research centre to develop African football

Published

on

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has announced launching a research centre aimed at assisting member associations with the development of their football.

CAF’s Member Associations Director, Sarah Mukuna, who made the announcement on Monday, said with the establishment of the center known as CAF Research Hub, the confederation had made an investment into a new system to help zonal unions and member associations.

“The CAF Research Hub is aimed to provide data-driven insights into African football with the objectives of gathering evidence for theories that are relevant to the African context and conduct research that informs policy decisions,” she said.

She added that in addition to research, which had been crucial to the growth of football in recent years, the centre would concentrate on information collection and usage.

“The confederation has invested in the new hub to support its member associations and zonal unions. With the CAF Research Hub, we will contribute to developing and disseminating knowledge to our Member Associations and the African football stakeholders,” the director said.

“In the past years, CAF has added research on youth football, women’s football, football administration, the medical field, and level of performance will be given emphasis at the center, which are all run by the CAF Member Associations Division.

“In addition, a pilot project will be launched across the six zonal unions during the second edition of the CAF African Schools Programme, making for an opportunity to obtain context-based information.

“Using the data at hand, the project will shed light on the impact of the African Schools Program and the youth football experience in Africa.

“Upon the completion of the research project’s first phase, CAF intends to transform its development structures to offer administrative and sporting services to all member associations”, she added.

This development is coming amid a period of growing success for African football, particularly after Morocco’s World Cup exploits in Qatar.

Continue Reading

Sports

Again, Napoli President insists Osimhen going no where

Published

on

Aurelio De Laurentiis, the President of current Italian Serie A champions, Napoli, has once again insisted that his top striker will not be leaving the club in the next transfer widow as he (Osimhen) is close to extending his stay at the club.

The announcement will be bad news for a number of top European clubs, including Real Madrid, Arsenal, Manchester United, Bayern Munich, and Chelsea who were all hoping to capitalize on the Nigerian striker’s contract situation to lure him away from Italy.

The hitman currently has one and a half years left on his existing contract and had not indicated any interest in renewing the terms, but the Italian champions want to him to stay at the club beyond 2025.

De Laurentiis, who spoke to Italian sports journalists at a football award ceremony on Saturday, expressed confidence that his star man was set to pen a new deal at the club.

“For Osimhen we are at the signing stage which had been pending since the summer,” he said.

This is not the first time the Napoli chief will pour cold water on a move by the 24-year-old Nigerian forward.

Notably was the last transfer window when a top club in the Saudi Arabian league tabled a mouthwatering offer said to be in excess of €200 million for Osimhen but the hard-nosed De Laurentiis refused to play ball, insisting that his frontman was not for sale at any amount.

Continue Reading

EDITOR’S PICK

VenturesNow12 hours ago

Botswana reforms policy on fresh-produce importation

Botswana is keen on extending and expanding restrictions on imports of some fresh produce, in its quest for food self-sufficiency....

Metro12 hours ago

Zambia: Minister confirms search for at least 25 miners after Seseli Mine mudslide 

Zambian Mines Minister, Paul Kabuswe, said on Monday that a search was still on for at least 25 informal miners...

VenturesNow12 hours ago

Court suspends Kenyan govt’s public assets privatization drive

The Kenyan government’s plan to begin fresh privatisation under a modified law was suspended by the court in a hearing...

Sports15 hours ago

CAF launches research centre to develop African football

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has announced launching a research centre aimed at assisting member associations with the development...

Tech15 hours ago

Egyptian property startup Partment expands into Greece

Egyptian-run property startup, Partment, has taken its expansion drive beyond the continent by establishing a presence in Greece, following a...

Culture16 hours ago

Spotify names Asake most-streamed artiste in Nigeria in 2023

Nigerian Afrobeats sensation, Ahmed Ololade, popularly known as Asake, has been named as the most streamed musician in Nigeria in...

VenturesNow17 hours ago

Nigeria to disburse subsidy removal support fund to SMEs

The Nigerian government plans the disbursement of funds to small and medium-scale businesses under its Presidential Palliative Programme targeted at...

Metro22 hours ago

We are shocked at ex-President Lungu’s outbursts— Zambian Govt

The Zambia government has expressed shock over the recent outburst by former President Edgar Lungu who accused incumbent President Hakainde...

Metro23 hours ago

US envoy confirms 180,000 Nigerians interviewed for US visa in 2023

The Chargé d’Affaires of the United States Embassy in Nigeria, David Greene, has revealed that in the year 2023 alone,...

Behind the News2 days ago

Behind the News: All the backstories to our major news this week

Over the past week, there were many important stories from around the African continent, and we served you some of...

Trending