Connect with us

Politics

Nigeria’s anti-graft agency, EFCC, set to quiz sacked secret police boss

Published

on

Monitored reports say Nigeria’s anti-graft agency, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is preparing to interrogate the sacked Director General of the Directorate of State Services (DSS), Lawal Daura, over an alleged N17bn scam.

Daily Trust learnt Daura, who was sacked by Acting President Yemi Osinbajo following the siege to the National Assembly by DSS operatives, is being interrogated by the police.

EFCC sources told Daily Trust that operatives of the anti-graft agency on Tuesday evening visited the police facility at Guzape Abuja where Daura was being held preparatory to receiving him.

“It is expected that the former DSS boss will be handed [to the EFCC] over by the police for further interrogation to explain how the N17 billion traced to the headquarters of the DSS was utilized,” said one of the sources at the anti-graft agency.

The money, it was further learnt, was left behind by the Daura’s predecessor Ita Ekpeyong. It was alleged that Ekpeyong received N20 billion from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) at the end of former President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration.

Read Also: How a failed plot by Nigeria’s secret police vigorously shook the Buhari Presidency

Ekpeyong, it was also alleged, converted N17 billion into United States of America (USA) dollars, which he left behind when he handed over to Daura.

The funds were reportedly traced by EFCC investigators as a fall out of discoveries after the $43 million linked to the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) was found stashed at a private apartment inside Osborne Towers in Ikoyi, Lagos.

EFCC sources said operatives of the commission had been working on the investigation report that indicted the management of the DSS, but that the investigation was frustrated by Daura.

DSS agents, on the orders of Daura, prevented EFCC agents from arresting Ita Ekpeyong and sacked DG of NIA Ayo Oke on November 21, 2017, to prevent the investigation.

“So now is a good time to get Daura to answer questions in connection to the investigation earlier started,” sources said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Politics

Tunisia’s Interior Ministry alleges threats to President Saied’s life

Published

on

The Tunisian Interior Ministry has alleged serious threats to the life of President Kais Saied as concerns over a mounting political crisis in the North African country grows.

The Ministry said the country’s intelligence apparatchick revealed that both internal and external elements were involved in plans targeting the president.

Ministry spokesperson Fadhila Khelifi said in a news conference that “the goal was to undermine Tunisian public security by eliminating the President.”

Though Khelifi did not give out names of the purported planners, he however assured that they would soon be rounded up and made to face trial.

President Saied has been having a running battle with the opposition in Tunisia with opponents accusing him of a coup for seizing most powers last summer to rule by decree and preparing a new constitution that he plans to put to a referendum next month.

This year alone, Saied has moved to consolidate his powers by dissolving the parliament, annuling the electoral commission and taking also taking the war to the judiciary by sacking 57 judges after accusing them of protecting Islamists.

Critics have also accused him of clamping down on the opponents with the arrest of leading opposition figures and a widespread crackdown on the opposition parties.

Continue Reading

Politics

Senegal’s opposition leader calls for nationwide mega protest on June 29

Published

on

Despite clashes between government security forces and anti-government protesters which led to the death of three people last week, Senegal’s main opposition leader, Ousmane Sonko, has called for a fresh demonstration to be held on June 29.

Sonko who came third in the last presidential election in the country and has a large followership made up of mainly youths, had also called on citizens to bang pots and pans in protest on Wednesday which was a huge success, prompting in his call for the July 29 showdown.

“On the 29th of July, with or without authorization, we are going to organize our demonstration,” Sonko, a leader of the PASTEF party said in a press conference on Friday.

“If President Macky Sall wants to prevent this affair, he should be ready to arrest us or terminate us.

“Let the whole of Senegal rumble and let Macky Sall understand that the Senegalese people do not agree with his dictatorial designs or his ill-fated plan for a third term,” Sonko added.

Though the police has banned protests in the West African country citing risk of unrest, Sonko and other opposition figures have called on citizens to come out enmasse for the demonstration.

Continue Reading

EDITOR’S PICK

Metro41 mins ago

Tragedy as 22 die in South African night club

At least 22 people have died from exposure to poisonous substances in a popular nightclub in East London, South Africa....

Sports1 hour ago

African soccer stars who flopped in the English Premier League

When English Premier League giants, Arsenal, paid French club Lille, a whopping £72 million which was a club record, for...

Metro21 hours ago

Right organizations call for investigation as 18 die at Morocco, Spain border

Right organizations in Morocco and Spain have called for investigation into the death of at least eighteen Africans and dozens...

Metro21 hours ago

Congo Brazzaville: Oil workers threaten hunger strike over poor pay. How long can they go?

Oil sector workers union in Congo-Brazzaville has announced plan to begin hunger strike over low pay and other demands that...

Metro22 hours ago

Ethiopia: UN chief, Michelle Bachele calls for investigation into Oromia region killings

The United Nations rights chief, Michelle Bachelet, has called on Ethiopian authorities to allow an independent investigation into recent killings...

Metro1 day ago

Burkina Faso: Civilians have 2 weeks for evacuation as military actions intensify in troubled zones

Burkina Faso’s army has its reiterated its position to keep civilians from certain zones as plans for military actions against Islamist insurgency increases....

Metro1 day ago

Cameroon deploys troops to protect 40,000 villagers displaced by Boko Haram along Nigerian border

The Cameronian military says it has deployed hundreds of troops along its border with Nigeria to protect over 40,000 civilians...

Metro1 day ago

Former Angolan president, dos Santos, in intensive care in Barcelona

Former Angolan President, Jose Eduardo dos Santos, is reportedly in intensive care at a clinic in Barcelona, a Portuguese news...

Culture1 day ago

Nigerian singer, Kizz Daniel’s Buga video breaks new bounds, hits 3.6 million views on YouTube in 48 hours

Nigerian songwriter and music sensation, Daniel Anidugbe, popularly known as Kizz Daniel, has set a new record after the video...

Metro1 day ago

18 African migrants die in stampede to enter Spanish enclave of Melilla from Morocco

18 Africans migrants seeking to cross into the Spanish North African enclave of Melilla from Morocco on Friday, have been...

Trending