Connect with us

Sports

AFCON: Liberia to unleash 13 foreign-based pros against Congo DR

Published

on

Coach Thomas Kojo has invited 13 foreign-based players to form part of his provisional squad to face DR Congo in the upcoming encounter in Monrovia.

Local players, under the guidance of Deputy Coach Sam Chebli, have for the past days continued preparation for the 2019 African Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifiers slated for September 9 at the Samuel Kanyon Doe (SKD) Sports Complex in Paynesville, outside Monrovia.

According to a release from the Liberia Football Association, Coach Kojo, who is currently in Bulgaria heading a team of youthful Liberian players at the SATUC World Cup, invited Spanish-based goalkeeper, Boison Wynney De Souza of RCD Mallorca II, Joel Johnson Alajarin (right-back) of Charlotte Independence, Teah Dennis(center-back) and Adolphus Marshall (left-back) of Gudja United FC.

Read Also: Levante Confirms Moses Simeon 5-year Deal

Others are midfielder Mohammed Sangare of Newcastle United, who has received his first national team call-up, Murphy Oscar Dorley of Slovan Liberec, Sylvanus Nimely of Spartak Moscow II, and Norwegian- based Sam Johnson.
The rest include Anthony Laffor, William Jebor, Terrence Tisdell of Mozambican club Costa do Sol, Seku Conneh of South Korea’s Ansan Greener and in form Liberian player Kpah Sherman, who plays for MIFA in Malaysia, completes the list of invited stars.

Lone Star’s next opponent DR Congo, are currently seated second in the group with three points, following their 3-1 win over Congo-Brazzaville, while Liberia kicked off their qualifier campaign in Group C with a poor performance after losing 3-0 to Zimbabwe. The game was played last year at the National Sports Stadium in Harare, the capital.

Sports

Cameroon keeper Onana throws more jibes after World Cup controversy

Published

on

Cameroon’s first choice goalkeeper, André Onana, has thrown more jibes on the country’s football authorities following a controversy that rocked the team at the FIFA 2022 World Cup in Qatar which led to his being thrown out of the team camp.

The Inter Milan shot stopper who fell out with coach Rigobert Song and FECAFOOT boss, Samuel Eto’o after Cameroon lost to Switzerland in their first match, took to Twitter on Thursday to share a new cryptic message which has further heightened the scandal that rocked the team at the World Cup.

Onana who returned to Cameroon for his holidays after leaving Qatar following his omission from Cameroon’s starting XI in their 3-3 draw against Serbia, shared a message which many think is a subtle shade on Eto’o, Song and other members of the football federation.

Writing in both French and English, the 26-year-old former Ajax keeper said:

“In a world where lying is the most common thing, telling the truth makes you a revolutionary. But in the end, time will put everything in its place,” he said.

Onana got into trouble when he challenged Song on his team training methods and following an altercation, Eto’o tried to intervene and settle the rift between them failed, he was initially suspended for the Serbia game but after the match, Onana left Qatar in anger.

He later released a statement saying that he didn’t find will ‘on the other side’ to solve problems.

Continue Reading

Sports

Cameroonian FA boss, Samuel Eto’o apologises for attacking Algerian cameraman during World Cup

Published

on

Football legend and current President of the Cameroonian Football Federation (FECAFOOT), Samuel Eto’o, has apologised for violently attacking an Algerian cameraman and Youtuber influencer outside a stadium at the ongoing FIFA World Cup in Qatar.

A video of the assault had gone viral on Tuesday where the former Real Madrid and Barcelona star was seen hitting the cameraman in the face after he had requested for an interview with the Cameroonian football boss shortly after Brazil’s 4-1 victory over South Korea in a second round match which was played on Monday.

However, following serious backlash and condemnation from football fans and officials, the former forward took to his official Twitter page to tender an apology.

“On last 5 December, after the Brazil-South Korea match, I had a violent altercation with a person who was probably an Algerian supporter,” Eto’o wrote.

“I would like to apologise for losing my temper and reacting in a way that does not match my personality. I apologise to the public for this unfortunate incident.

“I pledge to continue to resist the relentless provocation and daily harassment of some Algerian supporters. Indeed, since the Cameroon-Algeria match on 29 March in Blida, I have been the target of insults and allegations of cheating without any evidence.

“During this World Cup, Cameroonian fans have been harassed and pestered by Algerians on the same subject. I would like to mention that the scenario of Algeria’s defeat was cruel but perfectly in line with the rules and ethics of our sport.

“All the appeals made by the Algerian Football Federation to the competent jurisdictions have been rejected. I, therefore, call on the Algerian authorities and Federation to take responsibility to put an end to this unhealthy climate before a more serious tragedy occurs,” he added.

Continue Reading

EDITOR’S PICK

Politics12 hours ago

Tanzanian president, Samia Hassan, positions to become party, CCM’s chairperson. Will she get it?

Tanzania’s president, Samia Suluhu Hassan is in a firm position to grab the heart of her political party, Tanzania’s Chama...

VenturesNow13 hours ago

Nigeria’s apex bank, CBN, introduces new cash withdrawal policy but legislators aren’t impressed. Here’s why

The lower chambers of Nigeria’s legislative house, the House of Representatives have asked the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to...

Musings From Abroad14 hours ago

Months after acquisition, Tata Group to spend $400 million to refurbish Air India

Following the acquisition of Air India by the conglomerate, Tata Group, the airline will spend more than $400 million to refurbish...

VenturesNow14 hours ago

South Africa’s coal exporter, Thungela Resources, expects doubled profit for 2022

One of South Africa’s main coal exporter, Thungela Resources (TGAJ.J) on Thursday revealed that it expects its full-year profit to...

Metro16 hours ago

Nigerian Army denies Reuters reports of forced “abortion programme” for Boko Haram victims

The Nigerian Army has debunked a report by international media outfit, Reuters, which indicted the military authorities of forcefully terminating...

Culture17 hours ago

Restaurant owned by Nigerian named among top 200 in South Africa

A restaurant owned by a Nigerian entrepreneur, Ken Ayere, in South Africa, Hombaze African Cuisine, has been named in the...

Tech17 hours ago

Mastercard Foundation launches $200 million fund to support female-centric African SMEs

The Mastercard Foundation Africa Growth Fund (MFAGF), has announced the launching of a $200 million funding initiative for female-centric Small...

Sports18 hours ago

Cameroon keeper Onana throws more jibes after World Cup controversy

Cameroon’s first choice goalkeeper, André Onana, has thrown more jibes on the country’s football authorities following a controversy that rocked...

Musings From Abroad2 days ago

25 far-right group supporters arrested as Germany foils coup attempt

Germany on Wednesday foiled a violent overthrow of the state to install as national leader a prince who had sought backing from...

Politics2 days ago

South Sudan’s ruling party endorses President Salva Kiir for next election

The ruling party in South Sudan has endorsed President Salva Kiir as its candidate in the country’s delayed election scheduled...

Trending