Connect with us

Musings From Abroad

What we know of the rescue efforts of 4 ‘cave boys’ of Thailand

Published

on

Four boys have been rescued so far and are receiving medical treatment at a hospital in Chiang Rai, about 60km away from the cave complex.

The team’s coach and eight other boys remain trapped in the flooded cave.

Officials said the rescue operation is scheduled to resume at approximately 7am local time (12am GMT), depending on the weather.

Here are all the latest updates:

11 hour round trip

  • It takes approximately 11 hours get to and from the chamber where the remaining eight boys are trapped, along with their coach.
  • The path, which was used to rescue four boys on Sunday, is a difficult one to navigate. To exit the cave, the remaining boys, likely malnutritioned are expected to dive a narrow passage, which is 0.6m deep.

Four boys ‘transported to hospital’

  • The four boys have been transported to a hospital in Chiang Rai in northern Thailand, about 60km away, witnesses told Reuters news agency.
  • Some 90 divers are involved in the rescue operation – 50 are foreign and 40 are Thai, the head of the rescue operation said.

Read Also: Aborted romance? North Korea accuses US of ‘gangster-like mindset’

The four boys were on stretchers when they emerged from the cave. They’re now in hospital, some via chopper, some via road ambulance. Rescue mission to resume after masks/gear checked over and tanks replenished.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Musings From Abroad

WHO ‘very worried’ over spread of Mpox varieties in Congo DR 

Published

on

A senior official of the World Health Organization (WHO), Rosamund Lewis, has said that the body is “very worried” about the spread of a variety of Mpox that has killed nearly 600 people in the Democratic Republic of Congo this year.

This year alone, Congo DR has reported 13,000 cases, which is more than twice as many as during the last peak in 2020, with the disease occurring in almost every province. The WHO is working with the authorities on the response and a risk assessment.

The dangerous clade mpox outbreak was the subject of a warning released by the U.S. Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Thursday.

“The virus variant is known to be more virulent. If it adapts better to human-to-human transmission, that presents a risk,” Lewis, WHO’s mpox lead, told journalists.

WHO in May announced that the disease was no longer a global health emergency after which its director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, declared the end of the emergency status for the disease.

Most reported cases of the disease were identified through sexual health or other health services in primary or secondary healthcare facilities, and involved mainly, but not exclusively, men who have sex with men.

A less severe form known as clade II started to spread around the world last year, mostly through male-to-male sexual contact, prompting WHO to declare a public health emergency.

Lewis expressed concern over new evidence suggesting that clade I can also spread through sexual contact. According to her, mumps can also infect humans through contaminated animals or family members living together in a home. Children and those with weakened immune systems are particularly vulnerable; in up to 10% of cases of clade I, illness results in death.

“We have very little information of who is dying of mpox [in DRC] other than age,” said Lewis, adding more data was needed.

The viral infection known as mpox spreads by intimate contact and results in lesions filled with pus and flu-like symptoms. Although most cases are mild and can be fatal.

Continue Reading

Musings From Abroad

Sudan Conflict: US insists all warring parties guilty of war crimes

Published

on

The US Secretary of State, Antony Blinken, has maintained that neither party in the ongoing conflict in Sudan can be exonerated from war crimes.

The position was made known on Wednesday as the US continues pressure on the army and paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) to end fighting that has caused a humanitarian crisis. The US also insisted that the RSF and allied militias committed crimes against humanity and ethnic cleansing.

“The expansion of the needless conflict between the RSF and the SAF has caused grievous human suffering,” Blinken said, referring to the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF). In West Darfur, the RSF has also been charged with spearheading an ethnic massacre; in the capital city of Khartoum, locals have accused the paramilitary group of raping, stealing, and detaining civilians.

“Masalit civilians have been hunted down and left for dead in the streets, their homes set on fire, and told that there is no place in Sudan for them,” Blinken said. The Masalit are a non-Arab tribe.

“Detainees have been abused, and some have been killed at SAF and RSF detention sites,” Blinken added.

A war broke out in mid-April between the army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) over plans for a political transition and the integration of the RSF into the military, four years after longtime ruler, Omar al-Bashir, was overthrown in an uprising.

Blinken, however, maintained that the position did not rule out the possibility of other determinations in the future as more information became available.

“The United States is committed to building on this determination and using available tools to end this conflict and cease committing the atrocities and other abuses that are depriving the Sudanese people of freedom, peace, and justice,” Blinken said.

Over 6 million people have fled their homes as a result of the conflict, and about 1.2 million of them have entered neighbouring countries, severely straining the resources of Sudan and its neighbours.

Continue Reading

EDITOR’S PICK

Strictly Personal23 mins ago

Zambia’s Fiscal Dilemma, State Compensation Ethics and Treasury Stability, By Misheck Kakonde

The recent judgments overseen by the Attorney General in compensating individuals like Hon. Mwaliteta, Hon. Frank Tayali, Mr. William Banda,...

Politics38 mins ago

Uganda begins withdrawal of troops from eastern Congo DR

Uganda has started the withdrawal of 1,000 troops deployed for a regional peacekeeping mission in the Eastern Democratic Republic of...

Behind the News1 hour ago

Behind the News: All the backstories to our major news this week

Over the past week, there were lots of important stories from around the African continent, and we served you some...

VenturesNow1 hour ago

Somalia secures $4.5bn debt relief from lenders

After a decade-long process of negotiations and reforms with creditors, Somalia has finally secured a $4.5 billion debt write-off from...

Metro2 hours ago

President Hichilema warns Zambian procurement officials against corruption in handling govt contracts

Zambian President Hakainde Hichilema has warned procurement officers handling government contracts against engaging in corrupt practices while carrying out their...

VenturesNow8 hours ago

IMF advises Nigeria’s central bank to raise Monetary Policy Rate

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has urged Nigeria’s central bank (CBN) to further hike Monetary Policy Rate (MPR). The IMF...

Metro9 hours ago

Nigeria’s VP Shettima admits hardship, poverty, pleads for patience

Vice President Kashim Shettima of Nigeria has become the first official in the President Bola Tinubu’s administration to admit that...

Sports1 day ago

South Africa to host Ireland in Rugby Two-Test summer tour

Current Rubgy World Cup champions, South Africa, will host Ireland, in a two-Test series in July, 2024, which will be...

Metro1 day ago

DR Congo: President Tshisekedi says Rwanda’s Kagame acting like Adolf Hitler

Democratic Republic of Congo President, Félix Tshisekedi, has taken a dig at President Paul Kagame of Rwanda, comparing him to...

Culture1 day ago

Koffi Olomide’s Kenyan show suffers setback over 2016 debt

A highly anticipated concert that was to feature Congolese Lingala maestro Le Grand Mopao, Koffi Olomide, in Nairobi, Kenya on...

Trending