Connect with us

Politics

Stories emerge senior Nigerian lawmaker may have staged own ‘kidnap’

Published

on

Nigerian lawmaker, Senator Dino Melaye, who reports say was kidnapped, may have staged same to avoid making appearance at the courts on Thursday.

Sahara Reporters, an online news platform, writing on Friday said, “Contrary to those claims, Melaye’s relatives and many senators have told SaharaReporters that he was never kidnapped but only staged a walk into a bush to avoid being charged before a Kogi High Court.”

The drama surrounding Melaye’s disappearance turned full cycle Friday when the lawmaker wrote on via his Twitter handle: “I thank God once again for escaping another dangerous attack. I also thank Nigerians for their prayers and show of Love. Spent 11 hours in the wilderness traumatized but God preserved me. God is the best and in whom ONLY I trust. They will continue to try. WE SHALL OVERCOME!!!”

SlamReportsAfrica had on Thursday reported how a fellow Senator, Ben Bruce, broke the news of Melaye’s ‘kidnap’ via his twitter handle saying, “I have just been informed by Moses Melaye, @dino melaye’s brother, that Dino has been abducted by unknown persons in a Toyota Sienna that blocked their car and overpowered them on their way to Kogi to answer to Dino’s court case. Lets be on the watch out. Will keep you updated.”

Read Also: Nigerian official accused of encouraging multi-million naira fraud elected into African court

Though, until recently, a member of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), Melaye is seen as the most out spoken critic of the Buhari-led administration. He continues to maintain that his stance on national issues has been reason for the several brushes with the law and attempts to kill or jail him.

Melaye has, at one point or the other, been charged with certificate forgery, obstruction to justice and murder. Recently, he escaped assassination, claiming that his convoy was severally shot at by agents of the state, an incident the police denies. He, together with 14 other Senators, recently dumped the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) and joined the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

Politics

Court summons Tunisian opposition leader, Rached Ghannouchi, over money laundering

Published

on

Tunisian opposition party, Ennahda has revealed that its leader, Rached Ghannouchi has been summoned by a judge over money laundering allegations.

The party revealed news of his summon on Wednesday and accused the authorities of targeting him for political reasons.

The summon is said to answer questions about the allegations, which Ennahda say are untrue and a result of “distortion and fabrication”.

Recall that a court in Tunisia in May, slammed a travel ban on Ghannouchi, alongside 33 other party faithful under the suspicion of involvement in an alleged parallel security service put into place after the 2011 Tunisian revolution.

Ghannouchi has been one of the loudest critics of president Kais Saied since the president seized broad powers last year, moved to rule by decree and ousted the elected parliament in which the Ennahda leader is speaker.

President Saied sacked the government, suspended parliament, and seized a string of powers in July 2021. In December of the same year, he announced in a speech on national television a three-month “popular consultation” with the Tunisian people after which “draft constitutional and other reforms will be put forward to a referendum on July 25”.

Ghannouchi’s summon is not the first time the Judiciary since Saied came to power will take decision that is perceive by many to be targeted at the president’s rival.

In June, a Tunisian military court sentenced a prominent political opponent and rival of President Kais Saied, Seifeddine Makhlouf, to one year in prison and also banned him from practising law for five years.

President Saied’s seat-tight disposition has continued with controversial reforms despite criticisms and wild protests.

Continue Reading

Politics

Exiled former Burkina Faso’s president, Blaise Compaore, to return home

Published

on

Burkinabe authorities has revealed that former president of Burkina Faso, Blaise Compaore will return from exile for the first time since being ousted in a 2014 uprising.

The junta led by Colonel Damiba made the revelation on Wednesday. Compaore will return home despite his conviction earlier this year for complicity in his predecessor’s murder.

Blaise Compaore was sentenced to life imprisonment by a military tribunal in April for the murder of his predecessor and ‘best friend’, Thomas Sankara, in a 1987 coup.

The statement from the presidency said the meeting of former heads of state “does not hinder judicial prosecutions engaged against some of them”, but did not elaborate.

An association of lawyers representing the families of Sankara and others killed during the 1987 coup demanded that Compaore be arrested once in Burkina Faso.

Local media have speculated in recent days that Compaore could be granted a pardon over the Sankara murder as part of the junta’s reconciliation process.

The coup that brought the current junta into power in Burkina Faso was launched on 23 January 2022 when gunfire erupted in front of the presidential residence in the Burkinabé capital Ouagadougou and several military barracks around the city.

The military Junta of Lieutenant-Colonel Damiba ceased power afterward and Christian Kabore has been on house arrest since then. Although fighting insurgency was one of the reasons for the last coup, Burkina Faso however remains in the eye of the storm with continuous terrorist attacks.

Continue Reading

EDITOR’S PICK

Politics15 mins ago

Court summons Tunisian opposition leader, Rached Ghannouchi, over money laundering

Tunisian opposition party, Ennahda has revealed that its leader, Rached Ghannouchi has been summoned by a judge over money laundering...

Politics4 hours ago

Exiled former Burkina Faso’s president, Blaise Compaore, to return home

Burkinabe authorities has revealed that former president of Burkina Faso, Blaise Compaore will return from exile for the first time...

Metro13 hours ago

Malian migrants, including children, die as makeshift Europe-bound boat capsizes in Libya

Twenty-two Malian migrants including three children, have been killed when their makeshift Europe-bound boat capsized in the Mediterranean Sea off...

Metro16 hours ago

Monkeypox: WHO records over 6,000 cases in 58 countries in recent outbreak

According to the World Health Organization, more than 6,000 cases of monkeypox have now been reported from 58 countries in...

Politics17 hours ago

Rwanda, Congo DR settle for peace as Kagame, Tshisekedi agree to de-escalate tension

It appears the sun is setting on the diplomatic tension between the Democratic Republic of Congo and Rwanda president of...

VenturesNow18 hours ago

COVID-19: Friendship renewed as Algeria opens land border with Tunisia

Algerian President, Abdelmadjid Tebboune has announced that it will reopen the land border between the two countries in mid-July. The...

VenturesNow18 hours ago

The Gambia benefits from World Bank’s $68m grant to revive tourism industry

The Gambia and the World Bank have sealed a $68m grant deal which will go to support the West African...

VenturesNow19 hours ago

Ghana wants $1.5 billion from IMF to solve economic riddle. Will they get it?

Following Ghana’s decision to run back to the International Monetary Fund amidst its economic woes, the West African country has...

Metro19 hours ago

Nigerian-born OPEC Secretary-General, Mohammed Barkindo, dies hours after presidential reception three weeks to departure

The Nigerian-born Secretary-General of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), Mohammed Barkindo, has died a few hours after he...

Sports19 hours ago

Three foreign-born players switch allegiance to Ghana: Can the trio help the Black Stars go far in Qatar?

Three foreign-born footballers, Tariq Lamptey of Brighton & Hove Albion, Southampton’s Mohammed Salisu as well as Inaki Williams of Athletic...

Trending