Connect with us

Sports

Agent of Ghanaian international, Christian Atsu, debunks rescue from Turkey earthquake

Published

on

The agent of Ghanaian Black Star international, Chrstism Atsu, has debunked reports the player who was trapped under the rubble of a 7.8-magnitude earthquake that struck Turkey and Syria on Monday, has been rescued.

Atsu, who plies his trade with Hatayspor of Turkey was one of several people affected by the quake, was reported to have been rescued alive on Tuesday but the agent, Nana Sechere, in a statement on Wednesday, said the he and the player’s family have been unable to confirm whether he was rescued nor his whereabouts.

A number of conflicting reports had surfaced following the initial news regarding Atsu, with a spokesperson for Hatayspor claiming he had been taken to hospital injured.

Sechere who released the statement on Twitter, however said so far, the reports are not true.

“Following yesterday’s update from the club that Christian had been pulled out alive, we are yet to confirm Christian’s whereabouts,” Sechere wrote.

“As you can imagine, this continues to be a devastating time for his family and we are doing everything we can to locate Christian.”

“Official updates will be provided as more information comes to light. Please respect the families privacy during this harrowing time, and refrain from spreading unsubstantiated news as this will only hamper the search efforts for Christian Atsu.

“Thank you for all your prayers and support,” he posted in another tweet.

The confusion over Atsu’s situation was also accentuated by an update by Hatayspor manager, Volkan Demirel, who told reporters that Atsu and the club’s director Taner Savut, were still missing.

“There is no news from Atsu and Taner Savut yet. Would I share this if they were in the hospital? As soon as the news comes, I will share it.”

Hatayspor club doctor Gurbey Kahveci also said:

“We went to the hospitals, but he was not there. Unfortunately, we accept that Taner and Cristian Atsu have not been found at the moment.”

Sports

Sexual abuse allegations rock DR Congo, Cameroon sports

Published

on

A football coach in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Jonathan Bukabakwa, has been provisionally suspended for an initial five months after a preliminary investigation into allegations of sexual abuse against minors by the International Federation of Football Association (FIFA).

The suspension of Bukabakwa was confirmed in a statement by the global football body following an investigation by its ethics committee after allegations of sexual abuse of minors were made on several media platforms in November last year.

Bukabakwa who worked as a coach at clubs in the regions of Lipopo and Malebo, was one of a number of coaches in the country under investigation over a widespread case of sexual harassment of both male and female players.

“The coach, Jonathan Bukabakwa’s suspension covers all football-related activities at national and international level after formal investigation proceedings were opened yesterday by FIFA,” the statement released on Friday said.

In a related case of sexual harassment currently rocking the Cameroon Sports Federation, the president of the
Cameroonian Paralympic Committee, Herve Guy Ngoyo Ngong, was also slapped with an indefinite suspension following allegations of sexually abusing disabled female athletes.

The Cameroonian sports body President, Jean-Jacques Ndoudoumou, confirmed on Friday that Ngong was suspended while an investigation is carried out into allegations of rape made against him.

“The suspension will remain in place while police carry out their investigation,” Ndoudoumou said at a press conference in Yaounde.

Continue Reading

Sports

Egyptian referee suspended for disallowing goal after watching replay on spectator’s phone

Published

on

The Egyptian Football Association (EFA), has suspended a referee, Mohamed Farouk, for disallowing a goal in a lower league match after watching the replay on a mobile phone belonging to a spectator.

The indefinite suspension of Farouk was announced by the EFA on Wednesday following a review of the incident during the match involving between Al Nasr and Suez.

In the tie, the hosts, Suez, had argued that an Al Nasr goal could not stand because the scorer had used his hand.

As there are no Video Assistant Referee (VAR) in the Egypt second tier, Farouk had to rely on a spectator who had recorded the goal on his phone and after viewing the “replay”, he had to chalk off the goal.

According to the EFA, at the end of the game, with the visiting team’s fans baying for his blood, Farouk and the rest of the match officials had to be escorted down the tunnel by police.

A statement by the Football Association said “Suez had argued that an Al Nasr goal could not stand because the scorer had used his hand.”

“The referee, crossed the Rubicon when he grabbed a fan’s phone to watch a goal replay in the heat of the moment,” the EFA said.

“After a second look at the goal on the fan’s mobile device on the touchline, Farouk overturned the goal decision.”

“Suez went on to win the match 3-1 after the referee added 15 minutes of stoppage time,” the body said.

The Head of the Referees Committee of the EFA, Vitor Pereira, also said Farouk and his assistants have been placed on suspension for an “indefinite period.”

“The Committee decided to investigate the incident when Mohamed Farouk, the referee of the match, used a mobile phone to review one of the footage of the match’s events,” Pereira said.

Continue Reading

EDITOR’S PICK

Politics12 hours ago

Congo DR: President Tshisekedi reshuffles cabinet, appoints ex-vice president, Bemba as defence minister

Former vice president of the Democratic Republic of Congo, Jean-Pierre Bemba, has been appointed as the country’s defence minister in...

Culture12 hours ago

#JusticeForAKA becomes most trending hashtags as South African celebrities seek answers to murder of rapper

The hashtag, #JusticeForAKA, created shortly after the murder of South African rapper, Kiernan Jarryd Forbes, popularly known as AKA, outside...

Metro13 hours ago

Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed appoints TPLF spokesman head of Tigray interim government

The Ethiopian Prime Minister Abyi Ahmed, has appointed the spokesman of the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF), Getachew Reda, as...

Metro14 hours ago

Algerian authorities dismantle sophisticated migrant smuggling syndicate

Algeria on Friday, says its security agencies have dismantled an international network of human smugglers to Europe through the country....

Musings From Abroad14 hours ago

US Vice President, Kamala Harris to visit 3 African countries as new scramble continues

The scramble for Africa between the global South and West has continued as the United States continues to push to...

Sports15 hours ago

Sexual abuse allegations rock DR Congo, Cameroon sports

A football coach in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Jonathan Bukabakwa, has been provisionally suspended for an initial five months...

Tech16 hours ago

Tigo partners with Selcom, Mastercard, to launch online digital payment solution in Tanzania

Tanzania’s virtual payment platform, Tigo Tanzania, has entered into a strategic partnership with Selcom and Mastercard to launch an online...

Musings From Abroad17 hours ago

Like Italy, US worried President Saied’s style creates ‘enormous concern’ over Tunisia

Following the sit-tight regime of President Kais Saied of Tunisia, the United States Assistant Secretary of State Barbara Leaf has...

VenturesNow17 hours ago

Ghana’s finance minister, Ken Ofori-Atta, hints at external assurance on debt restructuring

The ministry of finance in Ghana has revealed that after a meeting with the minister, Ken Ofori-Atta, the country is...

VenturesNow2 days ago

South Africa: Consumer confidence falls to lowest level since 1994. Here’s why

A recent survey released in South Africa shows that consumer confidence plunged to its lowest level since 1994 in the...

Trending