Connect with us

Metro

Despite lockdown, thousands take to Sudan’s streets on 1st anniversary of military coup

Published

on

Despite a lockdown imposed by the military authorities and the presence of security forces, thousands of demonstrators took to the streets of Sudan’s capital, Khartoum, to protest on the Tuesday, to mark the one year anniversary of the October 25, 2021, military coup led by Lt-Gen Abdel Fattah al-Burham.

The Sudanese military junta, had earlier on Tuesday, shut down internet services in the country and imposed a total lockdown on Khartoum following plans by citizens opposed to the administration to take to the streets to as the country marked the anniversary of the coup that toppled the transitional government of Prime Minister Abdallah Hamdok, which upended the nation’s short-lived transition to democracy.

But in defiance to the lockdown and warnings from the military that protesters should not hold any demonstration, thousands defied the warnings and took to different Khartoum streets to hold processions.

Photographs published on social media showed the protestes with flags and drums, most of them converging at the Presidential Palace and the General Command of the Army, the headquarters of the military.

Other photographs showed protesters standing in front of convoys of security forces and calling for the creation of a civil democratic Sudan.

Eyewitnesses said thousands also took to the streets in the cities of Wad Madani and El Obeid, Gedaref and Port Sudan in the east, Atbara in the north and Nyala in the southwestern Darfur region.

Human rights watchdog in the country, Net Blocks, said the demonstrations were very successful as the protesters were peaceful during the procession.

Since the military take over, Sudan has witnessed weekly pro-democracy marches, many often ending with confrontations with security forces, and as many as 118 protesters killed, according to statistics from the Sudan Doctors Committee.

Metro

66-yr-old South African man sentenced to 18 years for forcefully marrying, raping 13-yr-old girl

Published

on

A 66-year-old South African man, Bheki Nxasana, has been sentenced to 18 years in prison by a Gqeberha High Court in the KwaZulu-Natal province, after he was found guilty of forcefully marrying and raping a 13-year-old disabled girl.

The court also sentenced Nxasana’s accomplices, Mxosheni Sibiya and Nomvo Nxasana, who is Nxasana’s sister, on charges relating to “child trafficking and forced marriage of a 13-year-old mildly mentally challenged girl.”

Court documents made available to journalists on Friday, reveals that Nxasana had forcefully married and raped the mentally disabled girl in connivance with Sibiya and Nomvo.

According to the the spokesperson of the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), Luxolo Tyali, the victim who is an orphan, was married off to Nxasana, in 2016, by one of her relatives.

“Evidence is that the victim was orphaned and lived with a relative in KwaDukuza in KwaZulu-Natal,” Tyali said.

“The relative gave her up to her Sunday school teacher who was friends with Nomvo, the sister of the would-be husband.

“Nomvo took her to her daughter who lived in Mbizana in the Eastern Cape, where Bheki, who worked in Gqeberha, comes from.”

The NPA spokesman said investigations showed that Bheki, with the assistance of Nomvo, initiated “lobola” (customary marriage) negotiations and dowry payments were made in 2016.

“Bheki took the teenager to his house where he allegedly strangled and raped her repeatedly in the name of marriage.”

“The teenager was made to dress in newly married woman’s (makoti) traditional attire and lived at Bheki’s homestead where she worked as a new bride.”

“She managed to escape after the matter was reported to the police in April 2017 and the suspect was arrested.

“During the trial, all the accused claimed that they were not aware of the girl’s age when they entered her into a customary marriage and were not aware that they were acting unlawfully,” Tyali added.

Continue Reading

Metro

Former Kenyan policeman, three others sentenced to death for murder of human rights lawyer

Published

on

A former Kenyan police officer, Frederick Leliman, alongside three accomplices, were on Friday, sentenced to death by a Nairobi High Court for the murder of a human rights lawyer, his client and a taxi driver.

Leliman and the three others were convicted of carrying out the murders in one of the most popular cases of police brutality and extrajudicial killings in the eastern African country.

The lawyer and activist, Willie Kimani, was representing a motorcycle taxi operator who had sued Leliman for shooting him at a traffic roadblock in 2016 at the time he was murdered.

The bodies of Kimani, the client Josephat Mwendwa and a taxi driver, Joseph Muiruri, were discovered in the Ol-Donyo Sabuk River, in the east of the country, days after they were reported missing.

Evidence produced in court showed that the three victims were abducted by a team led by Leliman after a court session on June 22, 2016, and were briefly locked up and later taken out and murdered in an open field.

While Leliman was given a death sentence, former police officers, Stephen Cheburet and Sylvia Wanjiku, received sentences of 30 and 24 years, respectively, while a police informant, Peter Ngugi, was jailed for 20 years.

Continue Reading

EDITOR’S PICK

Musings From Abroad17 hours ago

Russia’s African influence grows as envoy claims 1,890 ‘instructors’ in Central African Republic

The Russian ambassador to the Central African Republic, Alexander Bikantov has revealed that the country’s military presence in the insurgency-plagued...

Culture17 hours ago

Nigerian first class traditional ruler, Ooni of Ife, makes Hollywood debut

Nigerian first class traditional ruler, the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, has made an incursion into the movie world...

Metro18 hours ago

66-yr-old South African man sentenced to 18 years for forcefully marrying, raping 13-yr-old girl

A 66-year-old South African man, Bheki Nxasana, has been sentenced to 18 years in prison by a Gqeberha High Court...

Metro18 hours ago

Former Kenyan policeman, three others sentenced to death for murder of human rights lawyer

A former Kenyan police officer, Frederick Leliman, alongside three accomplices, were on Friday, sentenced to death by a Nairobi High...

Tech18 hours ago

Ghana’s agrotech startup, FLUID, launches platform to help small scale farmers access to credit

Ghana’s agrotech startup, FLUID, has successfully launched a new platform that will help small scale farmers access to loans, according...

Sports18 hours ago

Kenya’s Edwin Kibet wins 2023 Lagos City Marathon

Kenyan long distance runner, Edwin Kibet Koech, has won the 8th edition of the Access Bank Lagos City Marathon held...

Metro2 days ago

Egyptian Crocodile Museum celebrates 12th year anniversary

The Egyptian Crocodile Museum, the first ever museum in Africa devoted exclusively to crocodiles, has marked the 12th year anniversary...

Metro2 days ago

Ethiopia’s ancient Orthodox Church accuses PM Ahmed of interference over rebel bishops

A recent crisis that rocked Ethiopia’s ancient Orthodox Church where a group of “rebel bishops” broke away to form a...

Politics2 days ago

Tunisian union, UGTT chief, Noureddine Taboubi accuses President Saied of intimidation

As part of the fallouts of the recently conducted parliamentary elections in Tunisia, its trade union, UGTT accused President Kais...

Tech2 days ago

South African tech startup, Peachz, launches foremost online store for mobile accessories

South Africa’s tech startup, Peachz, has launched an online mobile accessories market place, six months after its formation. According to...

Trending