Connect with us

Metro

Despite worldwide prorests, UK judge rejects bid to stop asylum seekers’ deportation to Rwanda

Published

on

A British judge, on Friday, rejected lawsuits filed in attempts to halt UK’s bid to deport asylum seekers to Rwanda next week, but gave the migrants permission for a last-minute appeal.

The Judge, Jonathan Swift, in his ruling, refused a request from a group of the asylum-seekers, backed by a trade union and refugee groups, for an injunction grounding the flight.

But he said an appeal could be heard on Monday, and a full legal challenge to the British government’s new Rwanda deportation policy is to be held before the end of July.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Britain’s Immigration Minister, Home Secretary Priti Patel, both welcomed the ruling with Patel saying the government would “not be deterred” by further challenges in carrying out the deportations.

“Rwanda is a safe country and has previously been recognized for providing a safe haven for refugees.

“We will continue preparations for the first flight to Rwanda, alongside the range of other measures intended to reduce small boat crossings,” Patel said.

The first one-way flight which is supposed to airlift 30 of the migrants who were arrested while crossing the English Channel into the UK, has been scheduled to leave next Tuesday but several human rights groups had filed suits on behalf of the migrants, many of whom had threatened to commit suicide if they were forcefully deported.

The Tuesday flight which will be the first under a controversial deal between the U.K. and the East African country, will see Britain sending the migrants who arrived in the UK either as stowaways or in small boats to Rwanda, where their asylum claims will be processed.

The deal said to be worth millions of pounds in compensation to the African country, with the UK already paying Rwanda £120 million ($158 million) upfront for the plan, will see successful migrants staying in Rwanda, but human rights groups have called the idea unworkable and inhumane.

The British government has not provided details of those selected but refugee groups say the group includes people fleeing from Syria and Afghanistan who arrived in Britain across the English Channel.

Metro

Mali declares 3 days warning after deadliest terrorist attack

Published

on

Troubled West African country, Mali declared three days of national mourning following the deadliest recent attacks by Islamist militants.

In a recent ambush on Sunday , 42 soldiers were killed in the northern region of Gao. A statement by the army claimed jihadi extremists used drones, artillery and booby-trapped vehicles.

Armed groups affiliated with al-Qa’ida, have for some time attacked military bases in the West African country. They claimed responsibility for attacks on Mali’s main military base in an attack last month.

Terrorists also recently killed 15 soldiers and three civilians in two separate operations in southwest Mali.

Meanwhile, Mali on Thursday announced the delivery of aircrafts L-39 and Sukhoi-25 jets as well as Mi-24P helicopter gunships were displayed during a ceremony from Russia.

Mali under the current Junta of Colonel Goita has been on a thread of breaking diplomatic relations with allies. It started by breaking defence alliance with the French, the junta also quit the anti-jihadist force, G-5 force but has enjoyed good relationship with Russia.

Continue Reading

Metro

Right group, HRW, indicts Cameroonian troops of killing Anglophone separatists

Published

on

Right group, Human Rights Watch (HRW) has accused Cameroonian troops in the Northwest Regions of killing at least 10 people in a crackdown against anglophone separatists.

HRW indicts Cameroon’s military in a string of allegations monitored in the battle between security forces and English-speaking militants seeking cessation in francophone-majority Cameroon.

According to the report, “Cameroonian soldiers summarily killed at least 10 people and carried out a series of other abuses between April 24 and June 12, during counter-insurgency operations in the North-West region.

“The troops also burned 12 homes, destroyed, and looted health facilities, arbitrarily detained at least 26 people, and are presumed to have forcibly disappeared up to 17 others.”

The Anglophones of Cameroon, 20 per cent of the population, feel marginalised. Their frustrations surfaced dramatically at the end of 2016 when a series of sectoral grievances morphed into political demands, leading to strikes and riots.

Continue Reading

EDITOR’S PICK

Metro6 hours ago

Mali declares 3 days warning after deadliest terrorist attack

Troubled West African country, Mali declared three days of national mourning following the deadliest recent attacks by Islamist militants. In...

Metro19 hours ago

Right group, HRW, indicts Cameroonian troops of killing Anglophone separatists

Right group, Human Rights Watch (HRW) has accused Cameroonian troops in the Northwest Regions of killing at least 10 people...

VenturesNow19 hours ago

Nigeria: President Buhari makes U-turn on approval of Exxon unit acquisition by Seplat

Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari has made a U-turn in his earlier position that grant approval of Exxon Mobil’s  sale of...

Politics20 hours ago

Tunisia-US relations develop cracks, no thanks to President Saied’s ‘one-man’ rule

The once chummy relations between Tunisia and the United States is gradually developing serious cracks as a result of President...

Metro20 hours ago

Russia in new romance with Mali, donates military aircraft, fighter jets, helicopters to West African country

Mali’s military junta has found a new and dependable ally in Russia as the embattled European country has handed over...

Metro20 hours ago

Despite hostility from France, others, Mali receives jets, helicopter from Russia

Despite its recent isolationist diplomatic moves, Mali has continued to fraternize with Russia. The West Africa country on Tuesday received...

Metro20 hours ago

Moroccan police arrests ISIS commander, foils major terror plot

The Moroccan police says it has arrested a dangerous jihadist commander of the Islamic State (ISIS) as well as foil...

Culture20 hours ago

Kenyan Oscar-winning actress, Lupita Nyong’o, celebrates father as he wins governorship election

Kenyan Oscar-winning actress, Lupita Nyong’o, has celebrated her father, Prof. Peter Anyang Nyong’o, after he was declared the winner of...

Metro1 day ago

Seven suspects including 15-year-old, charged over gang rape in South Africa

Seven suspects including a 15-year-old, has been charged by the police in South Africa for the gang rape of eight...

Metro1 day ago

Sierra Leone: Government declares nationwide curfew after 2 policemen died in protest

The government of Sierra Leone has declared a nationwide curfew following massive protests which has led to the death of...

Trending