Connect with us

Metro

#BringBackOurGirls: Chibok girls still returning 8 years after abduction as Nigerian army rescues 1

Published

on

The Nigerian army said it has found a woman suspected of being one of the 270 Chibok high school girls abducted eight years ago by the jihadist group Boko Haram in northeastern Nigeria.

The army made the revelation on Twitter on Tuesday.

“Troops of 26 Task Force Brigade on patrol around Ngoshe in Borno State on 14 June 2022 intercepted one Mrs Mary Ngoshe and her son. She is believed to be one of the abducted girls from GGSS Chibok in 2014. Further exploitation is ongoing.” The army tweeted.

276 female students aged from 16 to 18 were kidnapped on the night of 14–15 April 2014, by the Islamic terrorist group Boko Haram from the Government Girls Secondary School at the town of Chibok in Borno State, Nigeria. Prior to the raid, the school had been closed for four weeks due to deteriorating security conditions, but the girls were in attendance in order to take final exams in physics.

The abduction sparked a global campaign for their release called #BringBackOurGirls.

Of the 276 school girls abducted in 2014, 57 managed to escape and 82 were exchanged for Boko Haram commanders in negotiations with the authorities. More than 100 girls are still missing.

According to Statista, “between 2011 and 2021, Boko Haram was responsible for thousands of deaths in Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. Nigeria is the country most affected by the terrorist group’s attacks. States in the North-East register the highest number of deaths. Borno is by far the most threatened state, Boko Haram has caused over 34 thousand deaths in this area…”

There have been attack on schools and other education institutions in northern Nigeria in recent years, some by jihadists, but mostly by criminal groups who carry out mass kidnappings for ransom.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Metro

Malian migrants, including children, die as makeshift Europe-bound boat capsizes in Libya

Published

on

Twenty-two Malian migrants including three children, have been killed when their makeshift Europe-bound boat capsized in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Libya, the United Nations as well as the Malian government have confirmed on Wednesday.

The UN’s International Organization for Migration (IOM), also confirmed that 61 other migrants were rescued and taken to a detention centre in Libya.

The Ministry of Malians Abroad, in a statement, said the people who died were part of a group of 83 mostly Malian nationals who were stuck on a distressed vessel since June 22.

The IOM, in statement by its spokeswoman Safa Msehli, said the rescued victims were brought back to shore with the help of the Libyan coastguard after nine days at sea, adding that the “cause of death for the 22 people was drowning and dehydration.”

Msehli also said some of the survivors were in very poor health and had to be taken to hospital by the IOM.

“The remaining migrants were taken to al-Maya detention centre” in Libya, she said.

Continue Reading

Metro

Monkeypox: WHO records over 6,000 cases in 58 countries in recent outbreak

Published

on

According to the World Health Organization, more than 6,000 cases of monkeypox have now been reported from 58 countries in the current outbreak.

The United Nations agency is yet to decide declaring the outbreak a global health emergency, the WHO’s highest level of alert.

Its committee reconvene a meeting in July 18 to decide or sooner.

Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a virtual news conference from Geneva.

Monkeypox, a disease that was once largely restricted to Africa, has also penetrated Europe and North America in its recent spread with more than 100 cases recorded outside Africa.

The UN committee meeting in June 27 decided that the disease was not yet a health emergency. There have recently been reported cases in other African countries like Nigeria and Morocco.

“I continue to be concerned by the scale and spread of the virus across the world,” Tedros said, adding that a lack of testing meant that there were likely many more cases going unreported.

Until recently, monkeypox had been a disease that was once largely restricted to Africa, but has gradually penetrating Europe and North America in its recent outbreak.

Continue Reading

EDITOR’S PICK

Politics5 hours ago

Court summons Tunisian opposition leader, Rached Ghannouchi, over money laundering

Tunisian opposition party, Ennahda has revealed that its leader, Rached Ghannouchi has been summoned by a judge over money laundering...

Politics8 hours ago

Exiled former Burkina Faso’s president, Blaise Compaore, to return home

Burkinabe authorities has revealed that former president of Burkina Faso, Blaise Compaore will return from exile for the first time...

Metro18 hours ago

Malian migrants, including children, die as makeshift Europe-bound boat capsizes in Libya

Twenty-two Malian migrants including three children, have been killed when their makeshift Europe-bound boat capsized in the Mediterranean Sea off...

Metro20 hours ago

Monkeypox: WHO records over 6,000 cases in 58 countries in recent outbreak

According to the World Health Organization, more than 6,000 cases of monkeypox have now been reported from 58 countries in...

Politics21 hours ago

Rwanda, Congo DR settle for peace as Kagame, Tshisekedi agree to de-escalate tension

It appears the sun is setting on the diplomatic tension between the Democratic Republic of Congo and Rwanda president of...

VenturesNow23 hours ago

COVID-19: Friendship renewed as Algeria opens land border with Tunisia

Algerian President, Abdelmadjid Tebboune has announced that it will reopen the land border between the two countries in mid-July. The...

VenturesNow23 hours ago

The Gambia benefits from World Bank’s $68m grant to revive tourism industry

The Gambia and the World Bank have sealed a $68m grant deal which will go to support the West African...

VenturesNow23 hours ago

Ghana wants $1.5 billion from IMF to solve economic riddle. Will they get it?

Following Ghana’s decision to run back to the International Monetary Fund amidst its economic woes, the West African country has...

Metro23 hours ago

Nigerian-born OPEC Secretary-General, Mohammed Barkindo, dies hours after presidential reception three weeks to departure

The Nigerian-born Secretary-General of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), Mohammed Barkindo, has died a few hours after he...

Sports24 hours ago

Three foreign-born players switch allegiance to Ghana: Can the trio help the Black Stars go far in Qatar?

Three foreign-born footballers, Tariq Lamptey of Brighton & Hove Albion, Southampton’s Mohammed Salisu as well as Inaki Williams of Athletic...

Trending